Ceton InfiniTV Eth first time install on Win 8 Pro (1 Viewer)

Charles F

June 24, 2018
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello, I need some help. It appears all 6 of my tuners are detected and all of my channels are detected, but the channel test ignores all of the channels, no successes or failures.
I am using Verizon FIOS as my cable TV service. I guess what I need now is a checklist to make sure all the settings are correct and that everything was correctly installed.
When I start MP and go to TV, I just click on TV and nothing happens, same thing for any of the other choices(TV guide). What are my next steps(logs, debug, etc)

Thank you in advance

Charles F

Charles F

June 24, 2018
Home Country
Another thing to mention is that I have a dual boot PC on 2 separate hard drives, one hard drive boots w/Win7 and the other with Win8 Pro. The Win7 system has been working fine with WMC. Do you see any issues or conflicts here?

Thank you

Charles F

June 24, 2018
Home Country
One more thing to mention is that I have not yet installed schedule direct and EPG. I don't think it has anything to do with not getting channels.
Thanks

Charles F

June 24, 2018
Home Country
Hello, Now I am at a loss of words. I was actually getting somewhere. I found the TV server configuration guide and proceeded to customize for Verizon FIOS digital cable card. I changed the CAM settings, did channel testing, channel scanning, etc and I was able to get a few channels, although it wasn't clean, not all channels were working. I then proceeded to install and customize schedule direct and last thing I did was update EPG tab so I could get TV guide listings updated. From that point forward it looks like all of my config info was wiped out, it was as if I never configured anything. Now it cannot even find the ATSC tuner cards under TV server. Don;t know what to say except i am quite frustrated. can someone help?

Charles F

June 24, 2018
Home Country
Hello, is there anyone out there who can help with walking me through the install? I am reinstalling, so far so good, but I know I will need help with customization. I was never able to do the Schedule Direct piece, for all I know I may have sabotaged the whole initial install, resulting in the current situation I am in. Please advise, thanks

Charles F

June 24, 2018
Home Country
Another question I have is that I installed MP1 as a standalone PC. With my ceton setup, I have 2 other Ceton ECHO extenders(not PC's) that I will use as clients.
Am I installing this correctly or does installation have to be client-server?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, is there anyone out there
    To be honest, I think that you would be better off continuing to use WMC on Windows 7. WMC is the only media center software that can receive and record the encrypted content broadcast on premium cable channels in the USA. MP cannot do this.

If the problem is the disappearance of the Microsoft EPG for WMC, there is an enthusiast's tool that uses "Schedules Direct" to obtain the EPG for WMC. See this thread:

View forum - EPG123

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Charles F

June 24, 2018
    Home Country
    Hello,
    Thanks for replying. The reason I entertained MP1 is because I am looking for a WMC replacement. If you didn't download WMC for Windows 8 at the limited time Microsoft made it available, it can no longer be purchased. You cannot purchase it anywhere that I know of, unless you may know about something of which I am not aware.

The disappearance issue has nothing to do with EPG, I didn't even get that far. It has to do with MP1 TV server configuration. All the settings regarding the tuners, channels
    does not get saved. When I reboot then start MP TV Server config, it sees all the tuners as unknown(instead of ATSC). All the work that went into configuring them, scanning, testing, etc. gets wiped out. It looks more like a TV server config database related issue.

I am open to suggestions on both points made above.

Thank you in advance

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have a dual boot PC on 2 separate hard drives, one hard drive boots w/Win7 and the other with Win8 Pro.
    Since WMC is included in Windows 7, and you already have Windows 7, why not use that with WMC?

If you are trying to setup a second HTPC, you could probably purchase a Windows 7 DVD from Ebay. You need to be careful, as there are many sellers who are selling either pirated copies, or OEM copies, for very low prices. Last year I purchased two Windows 7 DVDs from Ebay, but I restricted myself to items where the seller clearly stated that it was a full-retail DVD, that the images showed the actual item, and that the images were consistent with official images of Windows DVDs with the holograms. As a result, I paid virtually full retail price for these pre-loved copies of Windows, but they have installed and activated without problem.

I am open to suggestions on both points made above.
    The problem is that most MP developers are in Europe, and have little or no knowledge of the USA cable TV system. The one and only MP developer who is expert in TV matters is on sabbatical at the moment, with no return date fixed. So I think that there is no one around who can offer advice. That is why you would probably be better advised to pursue a WMC solution.

Open-source volunteer software projects have both advantages and disadvantages.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you do decide to buy Win 7 it would be safer to check out Amazon (money back guarantee) , I found a number of offers for Win 7 (retail and OEM) on their .com website some below $20 although interestingly more and even cheaper on the .co.uk site.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom