Forum Change background colour for threads (2 Viewers)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I don't know why, but I'm finding the magnolia background colour for threads really confusing, so was wondering if there could be a Style to change this back to white, like it used to be.

I can get it white by changing to Default Style, but then I lose the compactness of Mediaportal Default Style, which I prefer as it keeps the text in the middle of my widescreen monitor, saving eye and neck ache from panning across the screen constantly.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well, thats the problem with changing style. You fix it for 10 ppl and 10 other ppl will hate it. :D

I am not happy with the gray background of posts either - but I am willing to accept it if the majority of users does like it better that way.
    That said, using the firefox greasemonkey add'on (greasemonkey scripts work out of the box in google chrome too) here I can change the color of the background to what I want. :sneaky:

Installation notes for the attached script:
    1. unpack it
    2. drag and drop it into your chrome or firefox browser window (in firefox you have to install greasemonkey first and restart the browser)

Attachments

• MP Forum Post Background - white.zip
      438 bytes

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Well, thats the problem with changing style. You fix it for 10 ppl and 10 other ppl will hate it. :D

I am not happy with the gray background of posts either - but I am willing to accept it if the majority of users does like it better that way.
    That said, using the firefox greasemonkey add'on (greasemonkey scripts work out of the box in google chrome too) here I can change the color of the background to what I want. :sneaky:

Installation notes for the attached script:
    1. unpack it
    2. drag and drop it into your chrome or firefox browser window (in firefox you have to install greasemonkey first and restart the browser)

Thanks but I'm already using IE, Opera and Chrome (keep meaning to get round to reducing it to Opera and occassional IE for certain sites that don't work properly in Opera) and don't really want to start messing around with yet another browser ;)

Is it grey for you? Looks slightly yellowy off white/creamy/magnolia here. I think I find it so confusing as most foums only color quoted text, so to my brain it makes it look like every post is just a quote o_O

So hopefully it will be possible to offer a Style with a normal white background for posts that my brain can cope with :)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Thanks but I'm already using IE, Opera and Chrome (keep meaning to get round to reducing it to Opera and occassional IE for certain sites that don't work properly in Opera) and don't really want to start messing around with yet another browser ;)
    Quick googel'ing just showed me that greasemonkey script work in opera to.

Is it grey for you?
    Yeah thats grey (#F7F7F7 or in RGB 247,247,247) If it does not look grey on your monitor, then there is something wonky with your colorprofile/monitor settings. :)

Looks slightly yellowy off white/creamy/magnolia here. I think I find it so confusing as most foums only color quoted text, so to my brain it makes it look like every post is just a quote o_O
    I have the same "problem" - but due to the complains of forums be "too bright" high had to try a find a way to solve this. Not a final solution atm. Just a first step. :)

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Quick googel'ing just showed me that greasemonkey script work in opera to.

Ah OK, I'll give it a go sometime then :)

Yeah thats grey (#F7F7F7 or in RGB 247,247,247) If it does not look grey on your monitor, then there is something wonky with your colorprofile/monitor settings. :)

Yeah, you're right, had the monitor on a dodgy preset which I used to dim the screen a bit. Standard or RGB presets look more grey, although there's a faint violet tint there. I need to calibrate it properly sometime :) Been looking at colorimeter's but the only ones I can afford are either rubbish or don't work with the free software (ColorHCFR) and the paid-for software costs as much as the meters!

I have the same "problem" - but due to the complains of forums be "too bright" high had to try a find a way to solve this. Not a final solution atm. Just a first step. :)

Couldn't you have just told them to turn their monitors down :giggle:

By the way, I just noticed there doesn't appear to be a preview button unless I click on More Options (and then I can't see the thread). Is this intentional as it seems rather strange to hide the Preview function like this. I predict an increase in edits :D

Also, when in the More Options screen and previewing, it doesn't seem to show the quoted text in a different colour, making it hard to know if you've got the quote tags right until after posting.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Ah OK, I'll give it a go sometime then :)
    By the way, I just noticed there doesn't appear to be a preview button unless I click on More Options.
    Which is not a new thing, the same was the case in the old forums that there is no preview in the quickreply.

Also, when in the More Options screen and previewing, it doesn't seem to show the quoted text in a different colour, making it hard to know if you've got the quote tags right until after posting.
    Yeah, seen that too. Something to fix as soon as the style is "final". :)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I like the gray background :)
    It separates the posts so nicely :p And it is much more readable if you are lying in your bed with your Iphone and you're Eyes are still sleeping xD

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Which is not a new thing, the same was the case in the old forums that there is no preview in the quickreply

Maybe, but before there was a button to post a full reply, which kept the thread visible. I presume this has been replaced by the More Options button now, which doesn't keep the thread visible.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Maybe, but before there was a button to post a full reply, which kept the thread visible. I presume this has been replaced by the More Options button now, which doesn't keep the thread visible.
    The old forum had the exactly same behaviour. Only differences are that the button now has an other name and that the quickreply editor has more options(like attachments)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom