Change default match behavior to use title episode name (1 Viewer)

mark14

Portal Member
November 6, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am new to MP, but getting better every day. I have a working EPG and TV file name recordings work
well with my TVSeries.

The part I don't understand is despite having the name of the series and the title of the episode available
it doesn't automatically match and catalog, well most of the time.

If I go the through the config wizard and tell it to match off episode name it matches every time.

The literals look like exact matches (maybe some hidden spaces/character), but it seems
trivial simple it should be an exact match. And the manual search works with a 1 to 1 find.
There has never been an ambiguous match.

Any suggestions on how to help improve the auto match in this case ?

mark14

Portal Member
November 6, 2014
Home Country
I have seen the notes, but it doesn't make complete sense. When I manually bring up the config and look it
has matching series and episode name and if I change it to search/filter on episode name then it matches.
So, it appears it has the info it needs and just doesn't auto match that combination.

I have not had time to review the API and the return data set so I can't picture what is available.

Granted, it is only an issue for me because none of the EPG routes I have tried so far
provide reliable numbers if any at all. The names I always have though hence would be
a good match for my case.

mastyman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    the manual search in the plugin config is to manually help you find the right episode if it doesn't have the required season and episode numbers, that is fine, but it not designed to do that for auto importing

simply if you want it to automatically import it needs to have the series name. season and episode number like the wiki says

i would suggest most people dont use tvseries for managing there recordings because the EPGs dont usually have the required data

if you can enrich the recordings filenames with the right season and episode data, then its going to work, but tvseries wont do that for you

maybe you could use something like filebot .. i believe it can rename to SXXEXX based on the title

Kyle S.

Portal Member
    December 29, 2012
    Home Country
    I too was just about to post a comment about this "issue".

The statement above of "people don't usually use TV-Series to handle recorded TV", I believe, is limiting the use of this awesome add-in. - I would guess that the typical use for this program is handling torrented episode collections?

In my case I am trying to use this with recorded TV. I am using WebEPG pulling data from IMDB. Again, the parser always pulls the "program name" and the "episode name" correctly, but does not contain episode numbers. It just does not connect them automatically based on episode name alone.

If TV server has options to "record every time on this channel" and others, it is possible to fill up complete seasons quickly off of the airwaves.

I think I used something called "episodescanner" utility that did this work on my last HTPC (I am trying to remember how I had this all set up - it was years ago). Looks like the action on that forum has been tapering off recently.

If that program (or filebot) is capable of doing it, it seems that option (to match episode by episode title) could be included fairly easily since all of the data is already present. Basically just a selection on how the episodes are to be matched.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    In my case I am trying to use this with recorded TV. I am using WebEPG pulling data from IMDB. Again, the parser always pulls the "program name" and the "episode name" correctly, but does not contain episode numbers. It just does not connect them automatically based on episode name alone.

So why does MP-TVSeries need to do the heavy lifting? Tell WebEPG to fix their program and add S/E info or airdate. You do realize that MP-TVSeries deals with TheTVdB right? So what it can do is limited to what their API offers, and it is just build around S/E or airdate.

Now TVRage on the other hand makes things a lot easier, but adding support for that is easier said then done. MP-TVSeries is open source though, so you are welcome to help the developers add it, or add anything you like to see changed.

Open source also means that most developers only work on this, because they use the product themselves, and like sharing what they use with others. That complicates things when they have a busy life outside of the open source project (work, family, etc), and the project works perfect for them. The drive to add function purely for others, especially when you do not always have a way to test for it, is hard to find. Eventually it might happen, some developers see it as a challenge, and like to see the projects they work on florish, but it helps if others jump in that help on those areas they would want/use themselves.

Anyway that is my 2 cents, and it reminds me I need to find time tomorrow to work on IMDb+ :p

Kyle S.

Portal Member
    December 29, 2012
    Home Country
    I do understand the concept of open source and community development, and I certainly appreciate everyone's contribution to this projects like these.

Ultimately it is up to the developers to decide whether this will be a feature or not - I don't even come close to having the programming chops to handle a project like this.

The idea to include this feature in this plugin (to me) makes the most sense. WebEPG grabs from IMDB which does not seem to contain the SXXEXX info.
    TV-Series does seem to already gather all of the information needed (it parses the show name, and episode title correctly, and in the manual importer it already apparently downloads the entire "episode name" list so the episode can be manually matched.) It just does not allow the keying of the episode based on the "episode name" automatically.

Anyway, I will keep messing around with this. I like the plugin, I like the system, and I certainly appreciate all the work that has gone into this, and the attention that my request has already gotten.

Thanks,

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    WebEPG grabs from IMDB which does not seem to contain the SXXEXX info.

Since when does IMDb not support S/E?

They have full support for S/E and airdate info on every TV show I have ever seen on them, in fact they got individual episode pages each with their own IMDb tt-ID for thumbnail, summary, and guest star support.

Kyle S.

Portal Member
    December 29, 2012
    Home Country
    It appears that the IMDB grabber pulls info from pages that look like this:

http://www.imdb.com/tvgrid/2014-11-30/AMC/

Not sure if it actually grabs it from the html code, 1 day / screen, or it does some API stuff in the background? It seems only the info that is displayed on this screen is put in the EPG. No SXXEXX info.

The episodescanner utility I believe queries theTVdb based on the episode name. Just another step to get where I want to go.

WebEPG + IMDB seems to be one of the primary combinations for EPG that is listed in the mediportal setup instructions. I don't believe the solution I am seeking is that uncommon.

That being said, I understand that I am at the dev's mercy to get this feature added.
    If you really think it would be better in the WebEPG, maybe I can suggest it over there.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom