Change refresh rate depending on video source material (1 Viewer)

General Overload

November 11, 2005
Hello !

After having used MediaPortal for at while now, it is time for my first post on this forum..

A short question regarding refresh rates:
Is it possible to have MediaPortal change the refresh rate dynamically depending on the video source data.

I watch a lot of DVD's both PAL (50Hz) and NTSC (60Hz), and it I have to (manually) switch refresh rates to fit the video material to get a nice picture without motion problems (judder).

It helps a litte when I connect to a PC monitor with higher refresh rates (75Hz to 100Hz), but it is still not perfect. (And is not an option on my projector)

I have tried playing with settings for "3:2 pulldown" in the DScaler video decoder, but this don't solve the problem.

I hope that someone can help me - thanks :D
/Frederik

Spif

Portal Member
January 10, 2006
Falun
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I would also be interested in this. I think it is the only way the get all video content to play smoothly. As you wrote, using a higher refreshrate would mitigate this problem but that is not an option when using a standard TV.

I have tried ReClock to play 24 fps material on a PAL TV (25 fps) and that works for video but not for SPDIF sound if I understand the ReClock readme correctly.

I use PowerStrip to control the graphics adapter settings. If PowerStrip has a commandline interface or is scriptable I guess one could setup different profiles for different refreshrates and then possibly have MP switch to the right profile.

Is it even possible to have MP detect the framerate of the source material or would this require a DirectShow filter or something?

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I'd like this to. Today I change refresh rate using a keyboard shortcut that I have setup in the Nvidia adapter software. This is quick but somehow overlay stops working when I use the shortcut. I have to quit MP and restart it again to make it work again.
This is a problem when I am recording something and need to change refresh rate.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Spif said:
    I use PowerStrip to control the graphics adapter settings. If PowerStrip has a commandline interface or is scriptable I guess one could setup different profiles for different refreshrates and then possibly have MP switch to the right profile.

I dont think special powerstrip support is needed. AFAIK Powerstrip 'just' adds/overrides options to the standard windows list of display settings. Looking in the Windows API a call to something like this should to do it:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/devcons_7gz7.asp

Here is info on how to call it from C#:
    http://www.thecodeproject.com/csharp/CSDynamicScrRes.asp

I know nothing about directshow/audio/video so i dont know anything about how to find the refresh rate of a video file, but i wouldnt be surprised if mediaportal had something like that.

gabbe

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2004
    Sweden
    Hi,
    I think it's only possible to switch between predefined refresh rates throught a c# call. Its possible to add special home made refresh rates througth registry. It's most easy to use PowerStrip (or other equal program to do that). And PS have a command line interface...

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    gabbe said:
    Hi,
    I think it's only possible to switch between predefined refresh rates throught a c# call. Its possible to add special home made refresh rates througth registry. It's most easy to use PowerStrip (or other equal program to do that). And PS have a command line interface...

If i add custom resolutions in Powerstrip and then go to Control Panel -> Display -> Advanced -> Adapter -> List all modes , i can see custom resolutions added by powerstrip and switch to them. Im pretty sure the standard windows API is capable of doing the same.

Powertrip is definetly *the* program to make custom resolutions in, but i find it silly to make command line calls to powerstrip if the windows API provides methods that work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom