Change thumbnail for a folder - MyMovies. (1 Viewer)

JonL

Portal Member
October 10, 2007
Lawrenceville, GA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi, I apologize if my searches were not futile and this has been answered before. It would seem there is a simple answer to my question, but I am very new to Media Portal, so that makes me a beginner to HTPCs all over again.

In MCE, I could name a file Folder.jpg and that would be the default thumbnail for the folder I placed it in when viewing it from the next level up. For MP, I have finished setting up my movie database with poster views for all files and noticed it is handled much in the same way, from a viewing standpoint, as in MCE. It appears the whatever the first image file is becomes the default thumbnail for that folder in MP. For example, my folder structure is \\servername\videoshare. The first file in that folder is 10 Items Or Less.avi If I go to my share root, the \\servername\videoshare folder thumbnail is that of 10 Items Or Less.avi. That is not a big deal for me. However, I have some folders that have TV series in it that I did not populate my database with and so have no thumbnail image except the default for the Xface skin. I would like to put a single image in the Media folder so that those folders have a thumbnail - even if the individual files do not. Make sense?

Can anyone give me a hint on this? Thanks! :D

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am trying hard to follow you :)

So far everything seems correct. There is a little inconveniance being the IMDB lookup automatically creating a folder.jpg if there has not been any before. Nevertheless if you've got a Series folder which you won't ever lookup metadata for you should be able to place a folder.jpg (maybe an image of the series) into that dir (or parent dir) and see that.

If I didn't understand your intention please give me a step-by-step instruction to reproduce your issue.

JonL

Portal Member
    October 10, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Maybe I should take a screenshot. What I'm trying to do is quite simple, but it's hard to explain.

I'll try one more time...

I have a folder called Scrubs. In that folder I have more folders, each with a different season of the TV-series Scrubs. For example.

[Videos] (Root)
    -----------------------[Scrubs]
    ------------------------------------------[S1]
    ------------------------------------------[S2]
    and so on.

I have not, and will not, attempt to obtain IMDB information to populate the database with the files in these folders since they are named according to season and episode - a search would cause undesirable results. So each file in those folders has no IMDB info or poster/thumbnail associated. All I'd like is a thumbnail image to appear in the folder view. The [Scrubs], [S1], [S2], etc. folders do not have a thumbnail image associated with them since there were none downloaded.

It's not really any issue. MP is working as expected. I'm just trying to manually assign a thumbnail to folders that don't actually have one (icon view, if you will).

I hope I haven't confused you further. It seems I'm still making it more difficult than it really is!

StreetHawk

Portal Member
    November 24, 2007
    Do it manually. Find the image for the folder you want to use and save it as folder.jpg in the folder. When MP scans the folder from the root or your season folders the folder.jpg will display where the folder icon usually does. At least that is the way mine works. I do this for most of my movies in a folder structure because I have found that the IMDB files that MP gets are usually very low res images.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    JonL: Have you tried the TV Series plugin? I know that this isn't really relevant for your question, but for TV shows, this is the way to go. It's really a must.

Emph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom