[solved] Changed Computer Name Now Nothing Works (1 Viewer)

longjohn119

Portal Member
October 29, 2010
New computer system install and it was a fight (tuner scan doesn't work right for American ClearQAM and hasn't for quite some time) but I finally got (almost) everything working right (half the default skins are broken and don't work right so I had to settle on the ony one that did) I decided to change the name of my new computer from the motherboard default name to the name the old system used and it completely broke Mediaportal.. I can't even get the TV Server configuration to start, and it won't reinstall

Am I going to have to start from scratch again and spend literally 6-8 frigging hours setting up my tuners again (I get 99 clearQAM stations and use abut 75 and each one has to be identified renamed and renumbered and then I have to do it all over again for setting up the guide) The tuner scan for ClearQAM has been broken for several years since it still uses XP Era code and I have to scan the tuners 3 or 4 times and still end up with missed channels so I have to do a LOT of manual editing

Certainly there is a better way .....

longjohn119

Portal Member
October 29, 2010
Looks to me like a problem with the Error Handling/Error Trapping code

[2017-08-12 16:25:27,960] [Log ] [TVService] [ERROR] - Controller: sorry, master/slave server setups are not supported. Since there is already another server in the db, we exit here.

I change the name of my computer so of course I need to change the name of the TV Server but it won't let me into the setup because there is already a server running so I can't get in and change it ..... This should not have happened, it really should not just kick me, it should allow me to get in and change it

So is there a text file I can edit in Notepad++ and just rename the server and get around this Error Trapping Bug?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

With regard to the primary thread topic: this is detailed in the wiki. Four possible solutions. I'll leave it to the wiki to explain.
    TV Server Configuration Fails To Start - get_Cards() error - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

...and it was a fight (tuner scan doesn't work right for American ClearQAM and hasn't for quite some time)...
    ...(I get 99 clearQAM stations and use abut 75 and each one has to be identified renamed and renumbered and then I have to do it all over again for setting up the guide) The tuner scan for ClearQAM has been broken for several years since it still uses XP Era code and I have to scan the tuners 3 or 4 times and still end up with missed channels so I have to do a LOT of manual editing...
    When things don't change, it's usually because we're unaware that a problem exists.
    I'm not aware of any reason to need to rename or renumber channels.
    Nor am I aware of any need to scan tuners multiple times.
    Have you or anybody else reported this anywhere?
    If no, please could you do so. I'm very keen to here more detail.

The other thing I'd note is that I'd have thought you could've exported your channels from the old setup and imported them into the new setup without any need to scan.

half the default skins are broken and don't work right so I had to settle on the ony one that did
    Generally same as above. Please give us some detail.

Regards,
    mm

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I decided to change the name of my new computer from the motherboard default name to the name the old system used and it completely broke Mediaportal.. I can't even get the TV Server configuration to start, and it won't reinstall

I've had a similar issue in the past and needed to edit our MySQL database.
    See that post.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @longjohn119 Try to stick to one issue per thread that makes it a lot easier for the community to help you out.
    I'll close that thread assuming your issue was about changing your computer name / hostname.
    Please do open other threads if you have other issues needing support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom