Channel 4 HD on Freeview - dropped frames and poor performance (1 Viewer)

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Typical - my MediaPortal system was perfect, every type of video played as expected, all hardware accelerated - DVD/Blu-Ray/HD BBC Channels etc

Then along comes Channel 4 HD.

I have found that if I play a Channel 4 HD recording outside of MediaPortal, then it plays perfectly, however if I play it within MP then its drops a lot of frames (1-2 per second) and that leads to a poor juddery picture.

No my guess is that this is graphic card related, as Channel 4 HD is a 1080i channel, and maybe my card is having trouble with the specific format?

I tried lowering the deinterlacing to bob/weave but that didnt help.

I could swap from using the MS Codec to PDVD, but then I think the PDVD codecs used to be pretty poor at handling any problems with a TV signal.

So - has anyone in the UK got all the Freeview/freesat HD channels working? What codecs are you using? I don't really want to change my codecs, as my current setup is the one iv'e found that is hardware accelerated, stable, and plays pretty much everything.... except CH 4 HD ! :)

I guess if someone else is watching CH 4 HD with the MS codecs, then that proves its my GFX card

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3
    MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP
    Windows Version: Windows 7 (w all updates)
    CPU Type: AMD X2 3800+
    HDD: 80GB 2.5" HD for boot, 80GB 2.5" for temporary recording, 5TB UnRAID NAS for storage
    Memory: 2GB
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8N-Ultra 9
    Video Card: Sapphire ATI HD 3450 512MB
    Video Card Driver: ATI 11.2
    Sound Card:
    Sound Card AC3: Coaxial Out / SPDIF
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Hauppage Nova-T
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card: Hauppage Nova-S2-HD
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card: [DISABLED] Pinnacle 2000i Pro Dual DVB-T
    3. TV Card Type: DVB-T (dual)
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: Microsoft DTV
    h.264 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV for TV, PDVD for other
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Freesat
    HTPC Case: Antec Mid-Tower
    Cooling: Artic Cooling fan on CPU, Seasonic PSU with 120mm fan
    Power Supply: Seasonic
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 555
    TV: Samsung 40" M87
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI --> HDMI

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Yup - BBC HD, BBC One HD, ITV HD all fine. Loads of Blu-Ray films all fine. Just CH 4 HD.

The annoyingthis is that it works fine outside MP! It could of course be ATI's crappy drivers :)

Hmm now that CoreAVC has hardware acceleration, I may give that a go. But took so long to find a codec solution that worked for all tv and films, so its likely changing it will break something else!

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yea I suggest to try a few different versions of the ATI drivers. They seem to have a habit of breaking things version to version. When I installed 11.5 a few weeks ago it started causing problems for me with hardware acceleration.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    What audio codec are you using? I had issues trying to get the AAC to play nicely and several codecs were causing me video issues

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Revs

I get C4 HD OK on MediaPortal via Freesat. Bear in mind C4HD is 1920 x 1080i rather than 1440 x 1080i used by BBC 1 HD and BBC HD, so may require more processing power. I use an ATI HD 5450 and it can manage bob de-interlacing at best with the Windows 7 codecs. I had to remove the 11.5 Catalyst drivers and revert to 11.4 as they caused bad stuttering and pixellation on HD channels.

Mew
    Posted via Mobile Device

dlind

Portal Member
    June 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Hi Revs
    I had to remove the 11.5 Catalyst drivers and revert to 11.4 as they caused bad stuttering and pixellation on HD channels.
    Posted via Mobile Device

This is a known issue and is meant to be fixed in the next ATI driver release , due out July 27th. You can get rid of live TV pixellation by disabling DXVA for H.264 using dxva_checker.

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006
    I'm using an ATI 4850HD, ATI Catalyst 11.5 (i think) and receive all Freeview HD channels with no problems in MediaPortal on Windows 7x64. Video codec ffdshow DXVA, audio codec DIVX AAC decoder. Although I get the audio speed up problem when the ads come on. Anybody know which audio codec I can use to stop this?

With regards to the C4HD issue, try ffdshow DXVA.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    domb

Member since 2006 and still not filled out system specs and enabled them under user-cp ;)

Seriously think a 4850 card would take just about anything thrown at it, even with broken drivers :D

domb

Portal Pro
    October 30, 2006
    I'm using an ATI 4850HD, ATI Catalyst 11.5 (i think) and receive all Freeview HD channels with no problems in MediaPortal on Windows 7x64. Video codec ffdshow DXVA, audio codec DIVX AAC decoder. Although I get the audio speed up problem when the ads come on. Anybody know which audio codec I can use to stop this?

With regards to the C4HD issue, try ffdshow DXVA.

I lied about using ffdshow DXVA (wrote post at work)! I'm actually using the Microsoft DTV codecs built in to WIndows 7 So give those a go!

And yeah I should write the specs down really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom