Channel change user experience (1 Viewer)

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    When I moved from using Mediaportal internal TVE to TV Server I noticed that channel change is a bit odd.

Pressing channel change works in this "order":

1. TO channel's infobox appears (FROM channel's picture and audio is transmitted)
    2. "Loading" icon appears (FROM channel's picture and audio is transmitted)
    3. "Loading" icon disappears, FROM audio disappears but comes back almost immeditialy, FROM channel's picture is transmitted and after a while change happens and..
    4. ..finally FROM channel's picture and audio are no longer transmitted and TO channel's audio & video is transmitted

"TO" = channel I'm changing to
    "FROM" = channel I'm changing from

The sound stuttering part in step 3 is a bit annoying and the whole step takes quite long time. Do you guys know any way to optimize the channel change a bit? My setup is single-seat so network latency shouldn't be the problem, I'm also using a computer with a fair performance.

fitto

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2007
    Barcelona
    Hello,

Same here!

You described the behaviour pretty well. My zapping time takes anything from 8 to 60 seconds, average 30.

I have the feeling it's somehow codec related. I've tried serveral codecs troubleshooting this issue. In general, codecs with good PQ take a good while to change channels, while other codecs with poor PQ can change channels very much quicker.

Let's see if there's any improvement....

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    30 seconds? thats crazy, I dont think I could use a TV like that. Mine takes 1 -2 seconds.

I'm using NVidia PureVideo + ffdshow for codecs.

I am under the impression that the new tsReader that is currently a work in progress will greatly improve the TV load and channel change time, so that sounds like good news (correct me if im wrong!)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    30 seconds? thats crazy, I dont think I could use a TV like that. Mine takes 1 -2 seconds

Same here, using DVB-T

Sound like you have some serious issues, follow link at bottom of sig and post back full info, thanks.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    30 seconds? thats crazy, I dont think I could use a TV like that. Mine takes 1 -2 seconds.

I'm using NVidia PureVideo + ffdshow for codecs.

I am under the impression that the new tsReader that is currently a work in progress will greatly improve the TV load and channel change time, so that sounds like good news (correct me if im wrong!)

It's true the new tsreader is really quicker in channel changing (it has other problems)

With DVB-S I have channel changing from 1 to 3 seconds (it depends if channel are encrypted or not).

I also have the fealing that all the procedure could be optimized (maybe showing the infos about the program AFTER the channel has changed).

Roby

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom