Channel Changer for Motorola Digital Cable Box (Serial Port) (1 Viewer)

DaWanderer

Portal Member
July 20, 2005
Wyoming
Hello, everyone. I'm new to Media Portal development and brand new to the forums.

I've created a process plugin that changes the channel on the Motorola Digital Cable box connect via serial cable. The setup allows you to choose which COM port to use and everything else is taken care of.

I have the assemblies and source code zipped up and ready to go. You can download them at http://mike.chapacode.net/MotorolaSerialPortTuner.zip

Just copy the MotorolaSerialCableTuner.dll and SerialPort.dll to your plugins\process directory under Media Portal. After that, enable the plugin (named "Motorola Serial Cable Tuner") and run the setup to change the COM port. Make sure you have your channels setup for an external set top box with the proper channel number for your cable box being passed in.

I hope this helps out a few people and that I haven't duplicated anyone's work. Let me know if there are any problems.

DaWanderer

Portal Member
July 20, 2005
Wyoming
When a channel change request comes in, the program takes the new channel number and makes sure it has zeros in front (35 becomes 035 and 2 becomes 002). Then, it writes each number from left to right followed by an "enter". Each channel number (and enter) has a header and a footer set of codes that need to be written. There is also a delay for 500 milliseconds between codes.

Look in the Start function (SerialCableTuner.cs) to see where I setup the codes for each channel number. Above that I have the header and footer codes as well as "enter". The ChangeChannel function does all of the work in the plugin.

As far as getting the right codes, I found mine in some Beyond TV config files. Not sure where you'd find codes for your box.

Good luck!

zorro349

August 2, 2005
can't get it to work

i can't get the plugin to work.
i know I have it hooked up right though b/c i downloaded a utility that changes the channel and it works.

zorro

DaWanderer

Portal Member
July 20, 2005
Wyoming
Make sure you copy the two DLL files to the directory for process plugins. You'll also need to configure the channels for an External Set To Box and then enter the channel number for you cable box.

pocketpal

Portal Member
January 9, 2005
Indiana, USA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
The download link above is dead, and I can't find this in the Plugins section of the homepage. Is there any other way to get this file, or another way to control the Motorola digital settop box through the serial port?

DaWanderer

Portal Member
July 20, 2005
Wyoming
Sorry, but I no longer have the code or anything for that project. You might have to ask one of the other guys in this thread to send it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom