Channel Configuration Question (1 Viewer)

mljohns4

January 24, 2006
Midwest, USA
Area: Setting up the Television module / mapping channels and frequencies
MP Version: MediaPortal 0.2 RC2
Skin: default
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2 with all hotfixes as of 1/24/2006. Intel i865G Chipset Drivers for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 2.8GHz with HT
Memory: Corsair 1 Gb of DDR 400
Motherboard Chipset: Asus P4P800-VM with Intel 865G chipset
Video Card: ATI x700 Pro 8x AGP with 256 Mb of memory
Video Card Driver: Latest ATI Catalyst driver for Windows XP Media Center 2005
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768 when connected to computer monitor, Standard Definition when connected to television via S-video
Video Render Type: Overlay
Video Codec Type & Version: Haven’t got this far yet
Audio Codec Type & Version: Haven’t got this far yet
TV Card: ATI HDTV (OTA ATSC) with MCE 2005 Remote
TV Card Type: hardware
TV Card Driver: Latest Microsoft BDA driver downloaded from Windows Update
Optional Log: Haven’t got this far yet

Synopsis:

How do I map the OTA ATSC channels that were imported from the XMLTV file to the correct frequencies and miscellaneous settings. I have successfully pulled down the correct channels and program listings from XMLTV, and have placed the XMLTV file in the correct folder. I was able to successfully go into the MediaPortal setup, under Television, and on the Channels configuration menu select “Import from TVguide†and have all my available stations listed. But when I go back to the “Capture Card Settings†and click on the ATSC tab, there is no configuration data listed for any of the channels, such as frequency, modulation, and so on. I have no knowledge of these parameters, and assume that this is a critical step in the setup. My question is how do I populate all of the input fields under the ATSC tab with the correct configuration data? I noticed that in the setup wiki the user is directed to click on the Autotune button, but won’t this overwrite what I have already imported from the XMLTV file? Any help with this configuration question is much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

mattoid

Portal Member
December 30, 2005
UK
mljohns4
I don't fully inderstand the technology, but it seems that using the autotune function with the data already imported allows you to map one set of data against another. When you run it, it will scan thru the frequencies, and when it finds a strong enough signal it will ask you if you want to relate this to an existing channel, i.e. one imported from xmltv. All you have to do is put a tick in the relevant box. It does seem strange that the tunings are not carried over straight from xmltv, but this is how it worked for me.

Take note though; I have not tried rc2, as my tv card will not work with it, so you may want to check on this. And my advice would be to note down the frequencies it offers you, as you may decide that the one you chose was not as good as one you previously rejected.

mattoid

mljohns4

January 24, 2006
Midwest, USA
Thanks for the tip... Out of sheer curiosity I tried using the "Autotune" feature, and after approximately 3 minutes a window pops up indicating that Media Portal Setup has crashed and needs to close. I tried restarting the pc and going through the setup process only to have it crash again after trying to use the autotune feature, with this exact cycle repeated several times. At least the crash is consistent :wink:

If I have some time this evening I'm going to try to uninstall MediaPortal RC2 and go back to the released version. I'd don't know if the crash is due to my ATI HDTV card, or if it is because of RC2 version of MediaPortal that I'm using.

mattoid

Portal Member
December 30, 2005
UK
bad luck! :roll:

you are in the middle of probably the hardest bit of MP setup. Tv guide and tuning gives me hives :?

Still worth it I reckon 8)

mattoid

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
For clarification, autotune is related to analogue TV. Won't help with your HDTV digital card.
I fear I'm using analogue TV too, so I can't help you any better though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom