[solved] Channel Scan for every Card necessary? (1 Viewer)

Hotkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi There,

i've three short questions for setting up the Server in terms of Channel Scans and configuration:

1. I'm using a TBS6985 DVB-S2 Quad Tuner and i'm not sure if i have to perform a channel scan for every Tuner separately or if it's enough to perform one scan and then map all the channels to every single Tuner?

2. Will i be able to use one tuner for two channels, as long they use the same frequency and polarisation, or will i need one tuner for one channel anyway?

3. What are the correct settings nowadays for the Card Properties (i refer to http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...uration/TV-Server_Configuration/02_TV_Servers):
    Grap EPG: Could this lead to problems? Should i activate it for all 4 Tuners or only for one?
    Preloading: Better on or off?
    Idle: Better Pause or Stop?
    Network Provider: Relevant for DVB-S?

Is there anythin else special when setting up a quad tuner card?

As allways: Thanks a lot in advance!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1. I'm using a TBS6985 DVB-S2 Quad Tuner and i'm not sure if i have to perform a channel scan for every Tuner separately or if it's enough to perform one scan and then map all the channels to every single Tuner?
    You can map all channels found for tuner 1 to the other tuners without the need to rescan.

2. Will i be able to use one tuner for two channels, as long they use the same frequency and polarisation, or will i need one tuner for one channel anyway?
    Channels broadcasted on the same transponder can use the same tuner. Notwithstanding the assignment of tuners used is managed by TVServer itself and transparent to the user.

3. What are the correct settings nowadays for the Card Properties
    Grap EPG: Could this lead to problems? Should i activate it for all 4 Tuners or only for one?
    TVServer, as it stands now, will only grab on one single tuner. Activating this for each four won't harm though.

Preloading: Better on or off?
    Idle: Better Pause or Stop?
    There is no 100% sure answer to the question. I usually recommend to just try it. I got preloading activated for my own DigitalDevices cards but am using Stop rather than Pause.

Network Provider: Relevant for DVB-S?
    Keep "generic"

Is there anythin else special when setting up a quad tuner card?
    No

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    i'm not sure if i have to perform a channel scan for every Tuner separately or if it's enough to perform one scan and then map all the channels to every single Tuner?
    I have two quad-tuner cards in my HTPC, and when I rescan (typically when the channel line-up changes), I usually rescan each tuner separately. The reason for this is to confirm that all of the tuners are still working!

I experienced a power cut at my location a few months ago, when the HTPC was in the middle of performing a recording. The power cut seems to have damaged the tuner that was in use, and it no longer works. :cry: If I had not rescanned each tuner, I might not have noticed. :(

I believe that if TV Server fails to tune a channel using one tuner, it will try another tuner, so you might not notice a problem until such time as there are no more tuners available, at which point the programme would fail to record. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Hotkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the hint. As i can select each single Tune with the manual control section in the server setup i can make sure that every tuner works

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom