chirp and low volume (1 Viewer)

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
I think it is new since 1.11 but often shortly after I turn the TV on it will chirp like a bad signal (even though sometimes the signal is 100% strength and quality) and then continue with a much lower audio volume from then on, quite annoying.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

I think it is new since 1.11...
    That's highly unlikely. No relevant code has changed between 1.11 and 1.12.

...but often shortly after I turn the TV on it will chirp like a bad signal...
    Audio chirps and video pixelation are indications that there is corruption (errors, garbage data, dropouts etc.) in the stream. Bad signal is just one potential source/cause of corruption.

TsReader and TsWriter logs often show corruption as continuity errors. A continuity error just means that part of the stream is missing.

I found these in your log files:
    [2015-07-13 06:11:42,987] [2727fc38] [1610] - Video Continuity error... 5 ( prev 5 ), bufferOffset=37804, bufferLength=54912
    [2015-07-13 06:11:42,987] [2727fc38] [1610] - Audio Continuity error... a ( prev c ), bufferOffset=40812, bufferLength=54912

[2015-07-13 06:11:42,931] [9824b18] [be4] - Recorder:pid 401 Continuity error... 5 ( prev 5 ) - bad signal?
    [2015-07-13 06:11:42,931] [9824b18] [be4] - Recorder:pid 404 Continuity error... a ( prev 8 ) - bad signal?
    [2015-07-13 06:11:42,931] [9824b18] [be4] - Recorder:pid 402 Continuity error... a ( prev c ) - bad signal?

...so it's no surprise that you have audio chirps.

(even though sometimes the signal is 100% strength and quality)
    PC tuner readings usually don't show transient or "bursty" signal issues. So, if you're thinking that your signal strength/quality is fine because your tuner reports 100% signal strength/quality... then you may be wrong.

...and then continue with a much lower audio volume from then on, quite annoying.
    This is not something that is within MediaPortal's control. It's an effect of the corruption passing through the audio codec (decoder) and/or renderer. You should not be surprised that bad things happen when the decoder/renderer are forced to try to decode garbage. In fact, you're fortunate that it doesn't cause MediaPortal to crash.

P.S. Don't forget to fix your "codecs and renderer" => "TV codecs" tab => "MPEG-2 video codec" choice, as previously recommended:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/volume-bug-again.130982/#post-1141163

ATI Multiplexer is not a good/valid choice for the reasons previously explained.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    P.S. Don't forget to fix your "codecs and renderer"
    I were sure I'd already fixed this, guess not. fixed now and it did improve my channel change times (no wonder it didn't seem to help much before(when I thought I changed it but obviously didn't))

its not the chirps that are the issue, it is that the program does not resume properly, the volume is permanently at a lower volume afterwards.

In fact, you're fortunate that it doesn't cause MediaPortal to crash.
    I would hope not, as far as I can tell its not possible to get a good TV signal. My TV signal comes from a fiber optic cable running to a box on the side of my house where it is converted to an RF/antenna cable signal, I would have thought that would be about as good as it gets.

perhaps selecting a proper mpeg codec as mentioned will help anyway.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    fixed now and it did improve my channel change times
    Great. :)

its not the chirps that are the issue, it is that the program does not resume properly, the volume is permanently at a lower volume afterwards.
    I understand that. Like I tried to explain: the chirps and volume changes are unavoidable effects of the audio decoder (codec) and/or renderer encountering corruption in the stream. Garbage in, garbage out. If you want to solve this problem, you must find and eliminate the source of your corruption.

I would hope not...
    A crash is simply a more severe effect of corruption. In the same way that we can't avoid chirps, volume changes and pixelation, we also can't avoid crashes. Believe me: we would if we could, but it isn't something that's within our control. Also, this is not just a MediaPortal thing. Any and all software that relies on codecs will be susceptible to these effects in the presence of corruption. Codecs that are well designed and/or carefully coded will be less prone to cause these things... but again, ultimately the only sure solution is to avoid introducing corruption in the first place.

...as far as I can tell its not possible to get a good TV signal.
    To be clear: I didn't say that the cause was your TV signal. I simply said it is one potential cause.
    If the cause is poor TV signal strength/quality and you are not able to improve the situation, then you will have to put up with the effects.

My TV signal comes from a fiber optic cable running to a box on the side of my house where it is converted to an RF/antenna cable signal...
    Odd setup. Who is your provider? ...or in other words, where does the signal in the fibre optic cable come from?

I would have thought that would be about as good as it gets.
    The fibre optic to RF converter and house cabling are not immune to problems such as interference. There is also such a thing as signal that is too strong.
    ...but again, I want to emphasize that I did not and am not saying that your signal strength/quality is the problem. That is something that needs to be investigated and confirmed.

perhaps selecting a proper mpeg codec as mentioned will help anyway.
    It won't.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, thanks.

Ultimately the signal source for the fibre will be coming from an aerial. That's not something you're going to be able to check/fix, so I think you have to assume that the fibre feed is okay unless proven otherwise. As mentioned in my previous post, this does not mean that the wiring and splitters in your home are okay. That's something you can investigate.

Another thing you can check...
    Aside from the BD drive, virtual drive and SSD, it looks like you have 2 HDDs in your PC. HDDs can introduce glitches when they spin up/down. So, try to notice whether the glitches coincide with HDDs spin up/down, and whether the glitches are present in the same place if you skip back and replay the same "scene".

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    I'll try to check that, I suspect I may be getting some noise from outside the PC, there is one slightly noisy fan and I can hear the speed change when the heater cuts in or out (its cold here at the moment). would have thought it would be all regulated to a nice even 12V but I guess not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom