Choosing a plasma 42" 852*480 or 1024*768 ??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by jf2020, May 21, 2005.

1. jf2020

jf2020 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK now that I have a nice HTPC with this wonderful piece of software that MediaPortal is I'm decided to buy a plasma TV as my current TV is really of poor quality. After researching the web (and the MP forums) I have narrowed my choice to a Panasonic monitor (I currently live in the US but I will be moving back to Europe soon so I really don't need a tuner and I need a TV that is able to handle various TV format NTSC, PAL, SECAM even if it will be mainly fed by MP).

So the choice is between a Panasonic 852*480 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824187012 or 1024*768 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824187025.

As the main drawback of my current TV is its poor resolution which makes reading text quite difficult, it seem sthat the high resolution choice is better as it matches a common computer resolution. However I have read some posts touting the 852*480. There's also a big difference between the two for me: $1000! My understanding is that the MP skin is designed at 768*576 so how does it look on a screen with only 480 lines of physical resolution?
    Another question is that the pixel is square on the 852*480 but it is not with a resolution of 1024*768. I think that this can be corrected with the ratio correction in UI settings (is that true) but then will the aspect ratio of 4:3 and 16:9 video be correct?

So if you have a plasma screen can you please share your experience? Should I go the HD route despite the additional $1000 or will an EDTV give me good results?

Thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had a 42" plasma at the lower res, and loved it.

Depending on how close you are too it, you wont be able to really read text at the 1024x768. But then again, I was about 8' away from mine.

really. I ran it at 800x600 and it just looked awesome (it interpolates it).

However, shop around, while I love newegg, I find them to be a bit pricy on the high end stuff.

After all most of my video was not above dvd res (720x480) and even HD will look great at that res.

Again, I used my 42" for games, HTPC, web surfing and other general comp stuff....loved it.

best of luck,

dave

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!