Choosing "No TV" option gives same setup as 0.2.3? (1 Viewer)

sleepycol

Portal Pro
June 2, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

If during the installation process I choose "No TV" option, will this give me the same setup I am using with 0.2.3? Eg could I still use the internal TV module to watch TV etc as before? I have a dual tuner card so have no need for the added complicaions of the TV server. Is there anything I am missing by setting up in this way?

Cheers,
Colin

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    What Dual tuner have you got, if DVB-T, really is worth using TVServer, You will need this modified file though, until its added to next svn.
    View attachment 20701

Answer to your question, yes if you do not select TV options you can still use the internal MyTV (may have to be activated under Mediaportal config\plugins).

Regards

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,

I have a Hauppauge Nova-TD DVB-T USB Stick. I have to use a modified capturecardsdefinitions.xml file. This worked perfectly with 0.2.3 and everything I need I can get from the standard My TV part of mediaportal. This is why I was wondering what I am missing about the TV server?

Cheers,
    Colin

I was also confused about how My Radio works. I installed Mp1 on my "test" PC and selected that I wanted to watch TV (even though I have no TV card in that PC). This was because I wanted to see what happens with the TV setup and radio channels etc. However, when I went into config there was no Radio section for me to add internet radio streams. How is the My radio handled if I use TV server?

Cheers,
    Colin

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    you can also say that you wont be watching HD tv and that will give you the MP built in TV engine.
    Make sure you back up your capture card defs file though, just in case.

For the advantages of TV server, just check out the many threads that are around on that topic.
    I would suggest the extra effort is worthwhile :)

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi Marcus,

Thanks for that. So one TV server advantage is that is allows HDTV (if supported by hardware of course!). I don't think my USB TV card will support HDTV so I think I will stick with MP inbuilt TV engine. I'm not sure I can be bothered to read up on the TV server and mess about with what seems to be complicated TV database configurations, passwords, database names etc etc. As an end user (with a little bit of computer understanding) I think its much easier for me to use the inbuilt MP TV engine. It does everything thats needed doesn't it? Especially for those with dual tunerTV cards.

Cheers,
    Colin

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Especially for those with dual tunerTV cards.

The main advantage is, it gives you the chance to record\watch upto 12 channels over 2 transponders, but with repeats nowadays almost endless, if you feel you will never need this then fine :)

Sods law for me is 3 unrepeatable shows over 3 channels at same time.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hi Marcus,

Thanks for that. So one TV server advantage is that is allows HDTV (if supported by hardware of course!). I don't think my USB TV card will support HDTV so I think I will stick with MP inbuilt TV engine. I'm not sure I can be bothered to read up on the TV server and mess about with what seems to be complicated TV database configurations, passwords, database names etc etc. As an end user (with a little bit of computer understanding) I think its much easier for me to use the inbuilt MP TV engine. It does everything thats needed doesn't it? Especially for those with dual tunerTV cards.

All DVB-T and DVB-C cards "support" HD as there isn't any change in the signal itself. Only in the bitstream. DVB-S2 is a different case and it needs HW support.

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Interesting that HD can be received by my USB DVB-T stick. I didn't know that!! Although my Plasma isn't HD, I bought it before HD was introduced :0(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom