CI / CI+ support? (1 Viewer)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    What experience does anyone here have with incorporating a CI or CI+ interface into their HTPC? I have a Scaleo E, which has a cutout behind the front panel for a CI interface, but I don't find any such module for after-market installation. Our local cable TV supplier (WWZ) requires CI for digital TV (DVB-C) and I don't want to use a set-top box (STB) when I already have an HTPC.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What is the DVB-C Card in your Scaleo E? Possibly you would need to replace the card with another DVB-C Card with CI interface.

CI+ might be an issue, though, since it requires a certification process that an htpc can not achieve (esp. with open source sw). But for that there are solution (search for MDAPI) but I don't know about their legal status in Switzerland.

EDIT: PS I thought CI+ was a stupid idea from Astra? On Cable?

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi mbuzina,
    Thanks for responding! I don't yet have a DVB-C card, so if you can suggest one, I would be grateful.
    I still have the originally supplied Hauppauge hybrid card, HVR-1300MCE.
    Theoretically this can handle digital TV; but I don't think it supports DVB-C.
    WWZ only requires CI so far, so a DVB-C card supporting CI could be the answer.
    However, the neighboring cable provider (Cablecom) is already requiring CI+, so I don't know how long the solution will be good for. If there isn't any open-source SW supporting CI+, what (commercial) alternatives might there be?
    Thanks again!

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    rsbrux, I am not using DVB-C, so I am the wrong guy to suggest a card. This seems to show in the sentence that I thought CI+ was an Astra idea and so just for DVB-S. The issue with CI+ is that it should be named "CI-". It gives broadcasters control over your programs and DVR (they can send a "no timeshift" / "no recording" flag that needs to be abserved, they can reorder your channels lists (!)) so for me CI+ would never be an option - I feel that that is an intrusion into my rights.

What you will need is
    a) A DVB-C card with CI option
    b) A conditional access module (CAM) that allows CI (and there seems to be one that allows CI+ but is not legal in all countries, again no idea about Switzerland)
    c) The (probably activated) smart card

I guess it might never be available completly legal in all countries. But as stated there are several options other users use (a search for CI+ should be possible on the forum). I hope you will find a solution.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi mbuzina,
    a) doesn't seem to be a problem, there seems to be a Terratec Cinergy card that would do the job. I just need to find out whether it it compatible first with my Scaleo E and 2nd with Media Portal. If not, there are probably others.
    b) I don't know what CAM is. Is this SW or HW?
    c) The smart card will be supplied bymy cable provider.
    Thanks again for your responses!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    b) I don't know what CAM is. Is this SW or HW?

HW. It is the thing that you put a smartcard into and that understands how to decrypt the signal. The CAM then gets inserted into a CI slot when using a PC...

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    AW: CI / CI+ support?

I installed a Cinergy C PCI HD CI and the CAM and smartcard from my cableprovider (WWZ) in the Scaleo E and got it to work with the Terratec SW. When I did a scan with MP, however, it found only radio stations, no TV stations. It sounds as though some similar problems have been addressed in the MP 1.20 RC, so I will try that and report back.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again rsbrux

Indeed there were a few specific problems with picking up channels from scans. Most of those were with ATSC, QAM or DVB-IP providers. I'd be interested to see the logs from 1.2.0b, but in the meantime definitely try 1.2.0rc...

mm

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm also interested to hear your experience with the CI module.

I also have a Terratec PCI DVB-C with CI module.

I can receive all unscrambled channels on DVB-C fine

But if I need further channels or want to choose my own channellist(only pay for the channels I actually watch) - Then my cable provider subscription will be based on the card-reader.....

Please report, if you can get it working, thx

/Morten

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi Morten,
    Sorry to take so long to respond!
    Yes, I did get it working, and don't remember everything I did in detail.
    However, one key element, which I (embarrassingly) overlooked at first, was to edit the card entry in TVsetup to enable the CAM (see attached screenshot).

Attachments

• CI-CAM-module.png
      CI-CAM-module.png
      36.5 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom