Clear QAM DC-II video question (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    The quick TSReader test worked fine with the file recorded by TSReader Lite of the program with the 0x80 DC-II video. It doesn't work with the other files recorded by MP, but that may have been by design as I don't know how you implemented the change. Anyway, thanks again for the effort.

Yes, it was just a quick hack to map MPEG2 video as 0x80.

Good to know it is actually plain MPEG2, but I'm a little bit pissed on the fact that things (specs in this case) need to be done twice. Why not to use the plain MPEG2 as video type and use the same stream ID as in DVB? It just makes developing applications like MediaPortal much harder as they are targeting world wide audience instead of the small, specific segment.

Any thoughts on how to move forward on the recording side as well? I know there is still this problem of conflicting standards with BluRay LPCM audio to resolve. Maybe the PMT PID for a particular program can be scanned for elementary stream types. If elementary stream types 0x1b (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) or 0xea (SMPTE VC-1) are found (both used in BluRay) then elementary stream type 0x80 can be assumed to be LPCM audio (also used with BluRay). If those stream types are not found and elementary stream type 0x02 (MPEG-2) are not found then you could assume elementary stream type 0x80 is DC-II and can be treated similar to 0x02 (MPEG-2).
    Thoughts?

Currently PMT parsing is not knowing anything about the already found PIDs, so adding

In short:

TsWriter needs to be changed to detect and use 0x80 as video stream (when it is a video stream)
    TsReader needs to be changed to detect and use 0x80 as video stream (when it is a video stream)
    TV plugin needs to be changed to allow stream info to be passed to skin (not sure if anything else is needed)

Pretty much the same as DD+ / A-EC3 patch I and Ambass did a short time ago (in addition the stream type detection must be added to detect between audio / video). Hopefully there is someone volunteering to provide a patch as currently I'm pretty much out of free time.

- 0002430: [TvPlugin] Add support for Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) (Tourettes) - resolved.
    - 0002431: [TvServer] Add support for Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) (Tourettes) - resolved.
    - 0002417: [TsReader] Add support for Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) (Tourettes) - resolved.
    - 0002418: [TsWriter] Add support for Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) (Tourettes) - resolved.

I'll add Mantis tasks for the required changes (for a future release at this point).

jonesdb

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Santa Clara, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    TsWriter needs to be changed to detect and use 0x80 as video stream (when it is a video stream)
    TsReader needs to be changed to detect and use 0x80 as video stream (when it is a video stream)
    TV plugin needs to be changed to allow stream info to be passed to skin (not sure if anything else is needed)

Thanks again for taking an interest. For those of us in the US with cable it is a problem. I'm locked out of 15-20 channels because of this issue. (Naturally it impacts quite a few of my regular channels like History) Hopefully, someone out there with better development skills than I will take on pulling a patch together. I'm interested and will plug away at it as time permits, but I still have a steep learning curve ahead of me. I think I understand the TsReader and TsWriter requirements, but don't comprehend the stream info being passed to skins. For what purpose? If you have the time to educate me a little on that I would be quite appreciative.
    Thanks.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Thanks again for taking an interest. For those of us in the US with cable it is a problem. I'm locked out of 15-20 channels because of this issue. (Naturally it impacts quite a few of my regular channels like History)

I'm not receiving even that many channels (I won't pay for tv channels, so majority of channels are blocked out).

Hopefully, someone out there with better development skills than I will take on pulling a patch together. I'm interested and will plug away at it as time permits, but I still have a steep learning curve ahead of me. I think I understand the TsReader and TsWriter requirements, but don't comprehend the stream info being passed to skins. For what purpose? If you have the time to educate me a little on that I would be quite appreciative.
    Thanks.

There was one required change missing. Tv Server side scanning needs to be updated so that the new video stream type is detected.

TvPlugin - logos are used to display stream type to end user (we have different icons for audio & video formats).

All these required changes are pretty much same as the changes in the four Mantis issues I posted (after next SVN is out you are able to see the code changes what were done). Only difference/addition is that we need to detect between LPCM and MPEG2 that will share the same stream id (and maybe some few minor differences probably...).

jonesdb

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Santa Clara, CA
    Home Country
    I'm not receiving even that many channels (I won't pay for tv channels, so majority of channels are blocked out).
    I would only have about 6 channels without paying. That would be fine, except that with my 30+ years on you I now have a mother-in-law under my roof that makes the price of the extra entertainment seem small :D
    TvPlugin - logos are used to display stream type to end user (we have different icons for audio & video formats)
    In the 18 months I've been working with MP I haven't noticed this. Maybe blind or not setup properly. I'll look into it.
    Thanks for the education. Looking forward to studying the code changes.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have done the patch already if someone wants to try it.
    Pretty straight forward actually.

DMAN

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It's posted but in the process it stops HD streams in Europe from working - DOOOOH!!!.
    I wouldn't mind you trying it anyway.
    Meanwhile I'll think how we can accomodate everyone.

DMAN

jonesdb

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Santa Clara, CA
    Home Country
    Sorry about the problem with H.264
    The last release available at [untested] MediaPortal 1.1.0 ALPHA svn-builds - MediaPortal Forum is SVN 23407 (the 8/16/2009 posting). The Beta 1.1.0 is available as an exe, but seems to be SVN 23491 and appears to have been changed back to resolve the H.264 problem that had been introduced. It also appears that the SourgeForge respository site only goes up to 1.1.0 alpha .:( Sorry, don't know how I can check it out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom