Client can't connect to server (1 Viewer)

Sten3ik

Portal Member
November 30, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Thank you for your reply.
I have attached two log files from the client machine.
I am not really sure how telnet and netstat work, but telnet seems to make a connection and I ran netstat on my server and it states that a connection to my client on port 554 is established..

Sten3ik

Portal Member
November 30, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
A possible clue:
if I put in the server's name in the configuration on the client side, MP starts up normally and then states that connection to the tv server is lost. If I put in the server's ip address, I never get into MP. It crashes before I get to the GUI...

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    If you remove the entry for the tvserver from the client, will the client start?

It looks like you cannot connect to mysql. I am not sure if SkyNet is the server or the client, but if it is the server, then you need to configure mysql to allow connections from remote hosts. The easiest way to do that is to download and install mysql workbench and then config the system to allow those remote connections.

workbench->server administration->log on to your instance -> users and privileges:
    you will see an entry for root from localhost, and you would need to change that to root from % to allow any host to connect to mysql

Also be sure that you can hit the server on port 3306. Using the telnet trick above on port 3306 instead of 554 should do the trick. You are just checking to be sure that you do not get a connection refused error.

Sten3ik

Portal Member
    November 30, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If I remove the entry the client will start, stating 'connection to tv service lost'.
    SkyNet is the server indeed.
    I have installed workbench and there is an entry for root from localhost and another one foor root from %...

I am not sure how this telnet thing works. I have downloaded putty. I start it up, put localhost in the host name box, put in the port and set connection type to Telnet. When I hit 'open' it opens up a dos kinda box whith a green cursor in the top left corner. The window closes after about a second..
    Does this mean the connection cannot be made?

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    Command: telnet SkyNet 3306
    when you telnet to 3306, you should get some weird output like this:

J
    5.5.24╛♥C-T@%8(^!☻ǧ"-Y\CvJN*$t?mysql_native_password

In windows 7, telnet is not installed by default, but you can install it using add/remove programs and features.

Your error log indicates that you cannot connect to mysql, so if the entry for root@% is there, then it means that mysql is either not listening on the skynet IP or the port is getting blocked.

Does TV from the server work OK?

Sten3ik

Portal Member
    November 30, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have installed telnet on the client and when I run the command 'telnet Aap 3306' indeed it states that the connection to the host cannot be opened. (yesterday I reinstalled Windows and the server's name is now Aap..)
    If I put in the command telnet %ip adress of server% 3306 it does return a line of weird output. However after a few seconds it states: Connection to host lost.

On the server, I have kept the workbench window open and under Server status it lists an unauthenticated user while I telnet from the client...[DOUBLEPOST=1354723134][/DOUBLEPOST]I have installed the dedicated tv server version of MP on the server pc, so cannot test whether tv works there..

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    OK, then you need to use the IP address for the server in the MP client config and then post new logs. Then maybe we will get some new information.

The implication is that your client does not know what IP address maps to SkyNet so that is why it fails earlier.

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    I do not know what is going on exactly, but basically the mysql database is unreachable.

On your server log, it is trying to read from a database on a server called aap.

On your client, it is trying to read from a database on a server called skynet.

It appears that your systems cannot resolve eachothers IP addresses by machine name. You should give them static IP addresses and then edit the hosts file under C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on each system so that it can hit all the other systems by name, then re-test.

Matt

Sten3ik

Portal Member
    November 30, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Another user on the forum(in the Dutch section) suggested that I check the gentle.config files. I found out that in this file on the client side the server SkyNet was still listed(my old server's name..)
    I changed it and tried again, but no effect..

I will try your suggestion..
    However, I dont know if this means anything, but I can browse the server just fine in my Windows network environment on the client..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom