Client for Mp2 Win10 (1 Viewer)

Neville

Portal Pro
July 21, 2008
Hamilton
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Sadly my trusty ancient i3 client has died.

I am looking at the Intel NUC Celeron J3455 as replacement. Any tips on how well this will work for New Zealand Free-view watching - h.264... Any how much RAM would it require? I will use the computer for occasional web browsing and you tube videos etc which I am sure will be adequate but no other computing. Generally I have EventGhost and MP2 Client running and a couple of other minor support programs only. The hardware wiki is difficult to interpret eg needs P4 processor and 1 gb RAM..... I think this is another era?!

BTW I love Mp2 which is working very well. Thanks to all the work gone into this.

Thanks in advance....!

Last edited:

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Without owning an Intel NUC box, I can only offer basic advice. If you only plan to use it as a client for h.263 or HD video, it should be ok. The specs listed at Intel BOXNUC6CAYH NUC Barebone Kit - Celeron J3455 indicate it is fine for 4K streaming. The CPU should be up to the task for a client. As for RAM, I would recommend a minimum of 4GB and preferably 8GB (the maximum supported), as the integrated GPU (HD 500) uses the same base memory as the CPU. More RAM would also allow you to set up, for example, a 2GB RAM drive if that would be useful to you.

The specs seem ok to me for your use case. But as mentioned I don't own one, so it would be worth waiting to see if someone else is using something like this or similar before committing to a purchase.

Alberto83

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Just wondering, you mean h263, h264, or h265?

Because h263 is very old, almost every processor should have now the ability to decode it without any issue.
    h264 is the "standard" for HD videos, and is still hardware accelerated in many graphics card.
    h265 is HEVC, and is HW decoded by your Intel HD 500 using the Main profile. It does not hardware decode the 10Bit profile, but it shouldn't result in high cpu usage.

I agree with MLH01, i would go with 4GB RAM at least.

EDIT: actually, your processor is an apollo lake, which should be able to decode even HEVC Main10, with 10bit depth.

Alberto83

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    You're safe and sound with HD 500 and h264.
    If you get your hands on it, and you have a 4k TV with HDR, would you test an HEVC Main 10 file and post me the CPU utilization?

I'm curious how it performs compared with my Pentium G4500 which has only the HEVC Main profile.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Mind you, not every mainboard has an 4K@60 Hz output. There are only a few. Just in case you need it.

Cheers

Blue Max

Neville

Portal Pro
    July 21, 2008
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for comments
    You're safe and sound with HD 500 and h264.
    If you get your hands on it, and you have a 4k TV with HDR, would you test an HEVC Main 10 file and post me the CPU utilization?

I'm curious how it performs compared with my Pentium G4500 which has only the HEVC Main profile.

I will get back to you if I buy it. At the moment I am not sure the wife will accept the MPTVschedular solution ;)
    I will have to track down some 4k video. TV I believe is 4k.

Neville

Portal Pro
    July 21, 2008
    Hamilton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    At this stage the old client came back to life :) so new client on hold
    Will come back to you if things change,
    Thanks for the help i the mean time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom