Client not connecting to the TV Database anymore... what happened? (1 Viewer)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I don't know what happened.

Been trying to fine tune my client in the office ... Then I notice that I cannot connect to the TV Server in the living room when I go to Guide. I get the screen to reenter my server name. I get the message that the TV Server is connected, but inable to connect to the database, and all IP ports seem to be fine.

I recently updated the Server to Win7 64bit, and installed MP 1.3 Final (with MySQL instead of MS SQL light). The Client was updated to MP 1.3 Final and is still on XP 32bit. Up to last night, I thought everything was talking nice to each other. I had tried to update a couple skins and even updated a couple plugins as well... Then things didn't happen as they had been.

So far I have tried to restart MP, the machine, and then do a completely fresh install of MP, with no change in behavior.

Can anyone spot where I need to make changes to get things working again? .. or make some suggestions.

Last edited:

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Okay... I updated a second client (on XP 32bit) from MP 1.2.3 to 1.3 Final today (I surmised 1.2.3 wouldn't work with the MP 1.3 TV Server anyway)

I get the same issue as the first client... connecting to the TV Server, but not connecting to the database. Config shows green for the Server name, but I have to reconnect manually when I try to see the Guide, etc, in the GUI, but still no happy happy. Looks like it's something to do with the TV Server on the Win 7 64bit machine. On the HTPC (Win 7 64bit) all is working; ATSC TV and all the installed plugins. Maybe some networking permissions messed up, I don't know (using Workgroups instead of Homegroups). All I know is that my 2 clients are not getting TV, Guide, or TV Recording, etc. from the TV Server.

HELP! What info do I need to get for someone to help me resolve this?

Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    what firewalls are you running on the TV Server and the Clients? As an experiment try disabling firewalls on both systems.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    just the Windows firewalls.

Turned off Firewalls on Win 7 and XP, rebooted both machines, still no connection

message says ... some ports seem to be blocked. 31456 (TCP) Remote Control

sec.... will check if TV Service is running

Last edited:

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    ... now message says same as before. Connected to TV Server. Unable to connect to database. All IP ports seem to be fine.

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    @2BitSculptor - the database connection is set to localhost(127.0.0.1) on your client(s). You'll need to either edit the config on the client or fix the server to point to the real IP address (of itself) and then setup the connection from the clients again. The TV server is pointing to a database of 127.0.0.1 which doesn't work for the clients.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    okay.... I'm a noob in this area.

Where do I find the IP address of the TV-Server/database and where do I change it in MP?

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    you enter the name of your TV Server in MePo Config > TV > TV Client see wki
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ion/MediaPortal_Configuration/22_TV/TV_Client

you should be able to enter the windows computer name. If you need to you can get the IP address for the TV server by going to the Server, open a command window and type "ipconfig", this will show network config info, the IP address is in the following line

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.102

in my example 192.168.0.102

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    okay... I found an IP address on the TV-Server in Sharing Server section. It had been set to auto. I set it to the IP.

I went back to the client and set the IP address for the TV Server Hostname, hit Test Connection, and it made the connection successfully.

Started MP and got the same issue.

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Seriously dredging memory for this -
    There are two files where the connection ip is stored on your client:
    Gentle.config under <DefaultProvider name="MySQL"... holds where the database is (I think this one is wrong)
    and mediaportal.xml (<section name="tvService">) - I guess this is the one you changed in config. It should download gentle.config when this is changed, but possibly hasn't for some reason. If you can find out which one is broken then @RonD can probably help :p (only joking).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom