"Client" settings different from server settings? (1 Viewer)

Hefe

Portal Member
December 13, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Not sure if this is even possible.. but here goes..

we use the MP server in our living room for the majority of our viewing.. and for the most part it works well.
but now I am in the process of setting up another station in my son's bedroom and I would like his "settings" to be a little different than ours.
for example, .. we use 2 Hauppauge colossus cards to pull from our 2 DirecTV HD Receivers, and the resulting file size is quite large, and this is not a problem for us because we delete what we watched, and the hard drive stays clean..

my son however records tons of kids shows and likes to keep them forever
(he is 11 with Autism) and has no understanding that hard drives fill up, and the space is not Unlimited.. lol

I would like "his" computer to record "his shows" in a lower quality (thus resulting in lower file sizes).
example: .. everything recorded from the guide that is categorized as a "kids show" would be set to lowest quality.
who needs a cartoon in "HD" anyway...

and to make it even more difficult..
it would be great if "his" computer would save "his" shows to it's own hard drive(or any location other than where "non kids shows" are saved).. this way we would not even see what he recorded..
keeping us from sifting through 15 episodes of "Dora the Explorer" to find our shows
and he wouldn't have to see what we recorded as well.

thanks in advance
~Hefe

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MP server just records what gets broadcast, so if you schedule an HD channel programme it gets recorded in HD.

What you could do is have a scheduled job that transcodes the TS files into something with lower quality / better compression, moves the resulting file to your son's computer then deletes the original file.

Hefe

Portal Member
    December 13, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    that's an interesting concept... but how would it know WHAT files are his.. and what are ours?

I was hoping there was a way to tell it to just simply record anything from the "kids" category in the guide to a lower quality
    seems like I saw a setting in the config that determines the quality of the recording.. but that applied to ALL recordings

and of course, the setting in the config that specifies where the completed file is stored.. but again.. that applies to ALL recorded TV

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There's probably enough information in the XML file to tell the difference (genre for example)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom