Codec and Renderer configuration question? (2 Viewers)

Three6ZeroCool

Portal Member
April 4, 2013
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello. Am new to Mediaportal 2.x, so please excuse any ignorance.

I have been enjoying Mediaportal 1.x releases for quite some time, but finally decided to try the Mediaportal 2.1 final release.

Unlike version 1, Mediaportal 2 does not seem to have the configuration utility, that allows user to change codecs and renderer.
Is that correct?

Reason I ask, is that my systems default audio interface is a Bluetooth speaker, which is configured for use with AI virtual assistant.
Not a problem with MP 1x, as can just choose the audio renderer to use the correct audio interface connected to my receiver via HDMI.

I take it that MP2 must use the default Windows audio interface only?.
As currently all sound from MP2 is coming from my Bluetooth speaker, and not the AV Receiver.

Unlike MP1, I can see no obvious way to reconfigure the codec and renderer settings.
Am I trying to do something that MP2 does not support?

Again, sorry if this is a newbie question. No ignorance intended. I originally tried Mediaportal when Mediacenter was removed from Windows, so is quite hard case seeing a familiar Meciacenter interface option in MP2.

I have the channels imported, got the guide working using xmltv, but got stuck trying to get audio routed to HDMI audio interface, without making it the default audio interface.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Am new to Mediaportal 2.x, so please excuse any ignorance.
    Welcome to MediaPortal and the forum:)

Unlike version 1, Mediaportal 2 does not seem to have the configuration utility, that allows user to change codecs and renderer.
    One of the differences between MP 1 and MP2.1 is that the settings for the latter are managed from within the client GUI. The Settings section of the client includes a multitude of parameters and allows to adjust MediaPortal 2 to your needs.

Settings.jpg

I take it that MP2 must use the default Windows audio interface only?
    Audio, video and codecs can be defined under Settings/Player:
    • Audio device can be set under Audio Player/Configure output device
    • Codecs and renderer (including the Audio Renderer) are defined under Video Player/Codecs
    Don't hesitate to ask for help if you still encounter problems when trying to set up your system.

Last edited:

Three6ZeroCool

Portal Member
    April 4, 2013
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you very much for the reply, and hints.

I found the settings for audio output, and chose my HDMI connected AV Receiver.
    However, MP2 ignores this setting, and still routes audio to the Bluetooth speaker.

Only way I can get sound working using my AV Receiver, is to make it the default audio device.
    Then I get audio, but it is all choppy, and loops samples , and sounds like Max Headroom on steroids.

System also is very slow in comparison to Mediaportal 1.15.
    (I can not use 1.16, as get codec errors, about AAC audio, and h264 video.)
    If I reinstall 1.15 over the top... Works perfect.

I think I will image the MP2 system, and reload 1.15, as is only one that works well for me.
    (At least till I figure things out)

..cheers..

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I found the settings for audio output, and chose my HDMI connected AV Receiver.
    OK.

However, MP2 ignores this setting, and still routes audio to the Bluetooth speaker.
    That sounds indeed strange. What codec are you using (or do you want to use ;))? Did you select the respective audio renderer?

Then I get audio, but it is all choppy, and loops samples , and sounds like Max Headroom on steroids.
    You may want to play a little bit with the buffer times in the audio menu. Less is usually better, e.g. 180ms. What value did you set there?

System also is very slow in comparison to Mediaportal 1.15.
    Maybe the system is still importing data. While the import is ongoing the system responsiveness is affected and returns to normal as soon as the import is finished.

Can you please post logs to check what is happening?

Three6ZeroCool

Portal Member
    April 4, 2013
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I use this system as stable MP1.15 PVR, so have imaged the drive, and restored my working config. as have upcoming recordings.
    When I figure MP2 out, I will restore the image and experiment.

I basically had a very stable Mediaportal 1.15 config, and had tweaked quite a lot codec wise and renderer wise, using the Mediaportal configuration utility. Eg. Mpar, LAV filters, Cyberlink filters etc, but mostly LAV as splitter, audio etc.

All works really well. If I update to Mediaportal 1.16 pre release or above, then most of my recordings either do not play, or the ones that do have no audio, and same errors for live tv.

If I install MP 1.15 Final back over the 1.16 install, then everything works again.

To setup MP 2.1, I uninstalled Mediaportal 1.15 completely, including dropping database, and chose complete removal option.
    I then installed MP 2.1 with TVServer and client on same machine. I chose defaults, so assume my system is using LAV.

In the MP 2.1 settings, I can find only codec option for Bluray playback, and nothing else.
    For audio, it has options for output renderer, and lists all the audio interfaces on my system, including the Intel audio HDMI interface, and sub options for wasapi and directshow, or sound or whatever it is called.

I can find no other settings, as I do in version 1.15 of Mediaportal.

I will look further into things and experiment with MP 2.1, until I can get it working as good as 1.15, but at the moment it looks great, but does not do a heck of a lot.

I come from New Zealand, and our HDTV is DVB-T, both mpeg2, and h264, with AAC audio, including AC3.
    Without changing 'anything'. MP 1.16 breaks livetv and recordings for me.
    Hence my interest in MP2.1.

Some further research is in order methinks.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    MP1 and MP2 are completely different and did not have much in common excerpt for the TV Engine and a few binaries (tsreader.ax and similar).
    I can find only codec option for Bluray playback, and nothing else.
    This did not mean they are not there.. It's you looking at the "wrong" place.
    The settings you are looking for are in Settings > Player > Video-Player > Codecs.

By the way, the structure and usability of the settings are the next part to be overworked. Sadly it's not too unusual a user don't find what he's looking for...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the MP 2.1 settings, I can find only codec option for Bluray playback, and nothing else.
    Did you note my comment?
    Audio, video and codecs can be defined under Settings/Player:
    • Audio device can be set under Audio Player/Configure output device
    • Codecs and renderer (including the Audio Renderer) are defined under Video Player/Codecs
    You'll see the entry "Codec" in the left column. When you click on it, you'll be presented a detailed choice of codec settings.

To setup MP 2.1, I uninstalled Mediaportal 1.15 completely, including dropping database, and chose complete removal option.
    That's not necessary. You can install both products in parallel. All you need to do is to deactivate the MP1 TV Server service in Windows before installing MP 2.1. Switching back to MP1 then consists of deactivating the MP2 Server service and restarting the MP1 TV Server service.

Without changing 'anything'. MP 1.16 breaks livetv and recordings for me.
    Hence my interest in MP2.1.
    The bad news is that MP 2.1 us using the same 1.16 TV libraries as MP1. That said I am not aware of any principal issues in 1.16 that would break the T functionalities in NZ. Other users seem to be OK, hence I wonder if this is a setting issue.

As already entioned you may want to post logs for 2.1 here, or for 1.16 in the MP1 section for forum members to be able to help you.

Three6ZeroCool

Portal Member
    April 4, 2013
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm. Thanks for all the responses people.

It is definately useful knowing that MP2 can be run parallel with MP1. That will make things a lot easier for me to sus things out.

I really have not changed that much in my config, so is kinda weird how simply installing 1.16 over the top brings up playback errors that don't occur with 1.15. Reinstalling 1.15 remedies things.

Mainly just using Cyberlink codecs for mpeg2 and h264. There was a reason I did this at the time, but can not remember exactly why.

Yes, will have to default utterly to LAV and see what occurs, and post some logs.

Thank you for all your advice and wisdom, it is really appreciated.

Three6ZeroCool

Portal Member
    April 4, 2013
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok, I reset all codecs to LAV for audio and video, in video, TV, DVD in MP 1.15.
    Manually disabled the TVServer.
    Updated to MP 1.16.

Live TV works perfect, but when I try to play 'any' of my recorded TV shows, I get error of
    'Unable to play: "name of show"'
    Video Codec: AVC
    Audio Codec: AAC

The above error will change depending what show is selected, and source channel recorded.
    (DVB-T and analog Hauppauge Colossus connected via HDMI from STB)
    So, problem is that with MP 1.16, my entire recordings database will not play.
    However Live TV from DVB-T and TV from STB work perfect

If I immediately reinstall MP 1.15 over the top as an upgrade, all my recordings work perfectly again.

Is that weird or what?
    First happened when I installed MP 1.16 pre release.

I will now try installing MP2 in parallel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom