Codec frustration with RC1, SAF4 and CRT (1 Viewer)

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

in my bedroom I'm useing MP1.1.0RC1 with a CRT (RS-Video out) in combination with an Ati Radeon 4650 and Catalyst 9.4 and (a rather old) Soundblaster 5.1 PCI coaxial digital output

In my first trials I downloades lots of codecs and tools separaely (ffdshow, PowerDVD, AC3filter, Recklock, matroska...) and played around with them. The best result for me was that everything I wanted to play is playing, but for nearly all sources (TV, DVD...) there was a short audio and video drop every 30-60sec.

This was annoying. So I decided to reinstall MP and beforhand deleted all manual installed codecs and installed SAF4 latest (unlocked). The result now is

- TV stations like Pro7, Sat1, Rtl group... are either stuttering (like 500msec freeze and 500msec fast forward) or (using reclock) are out of sync (audio comes 2sec behind picture). This happens most of the times 5-10 seconds after starting the decoding
    - TV stations (most of the public ones) are stutterning as well, but much less and different than the private ones. Here it it more a frame based stuttering, which happens sometmes one minute, sometimes ten minutes after starting the decoding
    - DVD navigation stucks: For the movie "Assassination Of A High School President" ("Lange Beine, kurze Lügen" in German) I wasn't able to enter the mein menue, "City of Ember" stucked before every trailer in front of the main menue, but selecting "main menue" out of MP's context window helped here to get out of this (I'm using anydvd)
    - Subtitle doesn't work at all

I tried all audio/video/device combinations.

Frustrated regards

henning

P.S. I've posted by intention not in the SAF post. This post is with several hundred pages (!!) completely unreadable. I would strongly recommend to open an own section for SAF!

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    henning

DVD navigation:
    -use FFDShow to decode DVDs (+ MP DVD patch if you are on Vista/Win7)

Subtitles:
    -make sure you enabled MPC-HC subtitle engine in MP configuration.

TV out problem:
    -make sure you are using 50Hz output (not 60Hz!)
    -get some "not flickering" digital TV (LCD)...

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hoborg,

thanks for your replies.

DVD navigation:
    -use FFDShow to decode DVDs (+ MP DVD patch if you are on Vista/Win7)

I do. As mentioned I really tried all possible variants of decoder settings. Currently I use it as mentioned by u. For "DVD navigation" I have no further selection possibility than "DVD navigator". Is that normal?

Subtitles:
    -make sure you enabled MPC-HC subtitle engine in MP configuration.

I enabled it in the "Video" section. For DVD I have no such sub menue. BTW: The Codecs and Renderer section doesn't show me any more submenues than "Monogram AAC decoder"

TV out problem:
    -make sure you are using 50Hz output (not 60Hz!)
    I tried 60, 75 and 100Hz without success. Frequencies below 59Hz are not possible to select via the Catalyst settings. If I try to force it to 50Hz (wich is possible), th eresolution is fixed to 1280x720. Thtas not helpful for me.

-get some "not flickering" digital TV (LCD)...

Hehe, very constructive idea :) May I citate my wive: "Our old PVR used to work well with the CRT. If the new system can't manage to do this as well, it's a piece of sh.. and will not survive in our bedroom". Questions? :D

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    1) yes
    2) You need to enable/disable DVD subtitles from DVD menu (like on DVD player) not in MP - i do not understand - you do not have FFDshow audio/video decoder in DVD section selectable?
    3) ...and that is problem. If you TV refresh 50 per second and you send 60 frames per sencond, there will be glitches...
    4) No :)

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    2) The decoder ffdshow is selectable and selected. Subtitles are anabled of course, but not shown.
    3) As mentioned: I tried also with 75Hz and 100Hz, which is a multiple of 50H. Same result. Further on, there are big differences between the stations. So I would assume, that a decoder relation is still there.

BTW: Installed a new reclock version => worse than before

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    2) hmm, can be related to subtitle choice durning SAF install. So reinstall SAF and this time select yes for subtitles.
    3) i bet you will have no problem on any "non flickering" TV. Try find solution for 50hz Output (like powerstrip).

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    flicker: I already tried to use powerstrip, but wasn't able to find a correct setting for 50Hz PAL CRTs (I tried for hours). If anybody can help me here...
    subtitle: I reinstalled SAF and clicked ok for subtitle during installation (even if the check box dialoge tells me not to do). No change in subtitle behaviour.

regs

henning

zanlation

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2008
    Home Country
    In powerstrip you need to got to the custom resolutions and look for 576i 50hz. You should then be able to lock the resolution to 720x576 @ 50hz. A reboot is usually required. In catalyst you should be able to select 720x576 as a resolution. It will probably not show 50hz, as 60hz will be default. Ignore this, as powerstrip will be forcing 50Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom