Codecs to upscale DVD, DivX and Live TV (1 Viewer)

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
November 9, 2008
Arendal
Home Country
Norway Norway
Why not run MP via a batch file, with a command preceeding the MP command to change the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080?

That would be the best sollution. I.e. text would be readable in desktop and videos would be scaled only once.

Why didn't you guys say this from the start? so what's the prfix for starting mediaportal in 1080p? I don't need a batch file, i can just add the prefixes in the .lnk (shotcut), can't i?

moab

Portal Pro
April 22, 2008
California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Ok, thanks for good reply. I want to use my native resolution which is 1920x1080, but as i mentioned earlier, it's impossible to read from websites then. icons, menubars, text in general looks so small. And if i increase the dpi, they look like they're on steroides, bold and ugly. Ppl would think i've bad eyes.

You wouldn't happen to know about a guide on how to make 144(or 120)dpi look like 96dpi, just zoomed in?

And yeah, ATI AVIVO, it's something similar to Nvidia PureVideo afaik. Don't know what it does, but i think it has something to do with gpu acceleration and adding some filters to increase the image quality. I've never got myself around to fiddle with it...

I run at 1080p in windows XP to 1080p TV.
Picture is awesome.
I too had issues reading icons etc.
I increased the dpi but that messed up the fonts in MP.
Then I found that I have a microsoft wireless mouse with a thumb button that magnify/zoom a portion of the screen.
Now I can't live without it. You get fine control and big image. Once you get used to it then the issue of tiny icons and web pages goes away.
(I also tried using the CTL + on web pages to zoom in but sadly most pages get buggy when you do this.)
I often wondered how people cope with lower resolution in windows and then playing a movie in higher resolution.
Presumably the graphics card and TV has to switch resolution when you play a DVD. This takes time. I want everything instant and not wait a milli second.
I figured that keep everything native and you can't go wrong.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Why didn't you guys say this from the start? so what's the prfix for starting mediaportal in 1080p? I don't need a batch file, i can just add the prefixes in the .lnk (shotcut), can't i?
    Because we like to waste our time answering and discussing tech stuff that is requested in the thread.... :)

paolo

March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    hi,
    i did as in the guide Postprocessing - MediaPortal Manual Documentation
    but the problem is that when i check the filter chain in graphedit always `ffdshow raw postprocessing` block is alone and not connected,
    the codec MPC MPG2 decoder set in the DVD codec in the MP configuration tool take video data from the DVD Navigator block and give directly to the VMR9 block ?

why ?
    thank you

paolo

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have been using ffdshow's upscaling capabilities for well over a year. Since I changed my system's specs to SAF codecs, I have not been able to utilise this great aspect of ffdshow: until now.

The version that Hoborg has complied into his pack appears to have issues with upscaling. I know this for fact as I reinstalled an image of my system's previous configuration. I then copied the ffdshow folder over, then overwrote ALL the relevant files inside <Windows/system32>

Before, no matter how I configured ffdshow, it would not upscale. As soon as I overwrote the files, it was back to upscaling to 1360x768 (my LCD's native resolution, as set in 'Resize' filter).

I am using the following version: ffdshow_rev2547_20081228_clsid.exe

The only issue is it is an older version with no HD audio codecs. My receiver doesn't have HD capabilities, so it's not relevant.

I also have to disagree with the WIKI on post-processing: I have NEVER added the ffdshow's raw video filter into MP config post processing section. All that does is max out the CPU & it's not necessary. I have MPC set as my preferred MPEG2 codec & ffdshow only activates on certain profiling parameters.

I love ffdShow's upscale abilities... Only problem I have is that it also applies it self to content that I don't want ffdShow to handle but for the life of me can't find out how to stop it....

For instance, my h.264 content, my tv recordings in the videos section...

It seems that when applied as RAW video it will apply to everything... I love my DVD upscaleing but I need to find a way to stop it doing the same process to everything, any ideas?

You are welcome to try my ffdshow registry settings, attached below. As you can see, I am from NZ & using DVB-T HD. The television resize profile is probably extraneous now since Prime began on FreeviewHD. As for the other filters, they may not be perfect, but they are a good baseline. My system tends to run between 25-75% CPU load, depending on media file being played.

My video resize profile is set to activate when it registers an XVid/DivX encoder. I have H.264 disabled inside <ffdshow/codecs> so I can utilise DVXA on my H.264 Blu-ray rips. Until recently, I only ever had XVid/DivX movie/TV shows encoding. But now, I have some H.264 so am going to play around with my profiles now I have them up & running, again -look at the Television resize profile's 'preset autoload condition' & notice the 'on a DirectShow filter presence', paying particular attention to the exact decoder wording AND it is caps sensitive. That got me when I was trying to get set up initially.

Attachments

• ffdshow.zip
      30.6 KB

fabien44

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2006
    Logically, I think the best would be:
    Video w/resolution-X ---- PC upscaling to 1920x1080p ---> TV w/resolution 1080p === ONE scaling processes

The way you have it now, best is probably:
    Video w/resolution-X ---- PC upscaling to 1280x720p ----> TV upscaling to 1920x1080 === TWO scaling processes

What you are doing now:
    Video w/resolution-X ---- PC upscaling to 2880x1620 + gfx downscaling to 1280x720p --> TV upscaling to 1920x1080 === THREE scaling processes

Hello,

i would like to know what is the best chain for scaling with my config based on

- ATI HD3200 graphics chipset
    - XP SP3
    - TV Plasma Panasonic TH-50PX71E resolution 1366 x 768
    - Desktop 800x600 in 720P (maybe i could change for better result)

Any advice on my desktop resolution and postprocessing is welcome.

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello,

- XP SP3

Just a clarification, are you saying you have your 50" screen set to the desktop resolution -ie. 800x600@720? Or running dual monitors; a desktop + your TV at their respective resolutions?

If the former, you need to adjust the resolution to the native one of the TV (1366x 768). Can your TV do 1:1 pixel mapping -this gives the sharpest possible images for desktop viewing eg. icon edges & text browsing.

If you are running the latter, how are your displays configured? Clone, single, or dualview (or the ATI equivalents)? I prefer the use of a single display. The Nvidia Control Panel allows you to set hotkeys for display switching. Not sure about ATI. The advantage that Nvidia panel gives with this setup is to have completely independent resolutions & refresh rates that clone mode doesn't.

Now, for post-processing: I assume you are referring to upscaling of your media files during playback? I don't really see the advantage of upscaling to fullHD -1980x1080p. I would again recommend upscaling to the native resolution of your TV -others with fullHD capability may disagree & you should be swayed by their comments/results. As I don't have fullHD I can't comment on the CPU power required to activate ffdshow filters to gain the best results for fullHD upscaled playback. See my above post for my CPU loading.

What codecs are you using for MP video playback? I am using SAF 4.00 but as I stated earlier, there seems to be an issue with ffdshow upscaling with the default version. It also depends on how your media files are encoded. I have XVid/DivX encodes with a few H.264 files. I have tried seaparting my Blu-ray *.mkv encodes from those running standard defintion for easier ffdshow upscaling recognition.

fabien44

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2006
    Hello,

- XP SP3

Just a clarification, are you saying you have your 50" screen set to the desktop resolution -ie. 800x600@720? Or running dual monitors; a desktop + your TV at their respective resolutions?

If the former, you need to adjust the resolution to the native one of the TV (1366x 768). Can your TV do 1:1 pixel mapping -this gives the sharpest possible images for desktop viewing eg. icon edges & text browsing.

If you are running the latter, how are your displays configured? Clone, single, or dualview (or the ATI equivalents)? I prefer the use of a single display. The Nvidia Control Panel allows you to set hotkeys for display switching. Not sure about ATI. The advantage that Nvidia panel gives with this setup is to have completely independent resolutions & refresh rates that clone mode doesn't.

Now, for post-processing: I assume you are referring to upscaling of your media files during playback? I don't really see the advantage of upscaling to fullHD -1980x1080p. I would again recommend upscaling to the native resolution of your TV -others with fullHD capability may disagree & you should be swayed by their comments/results. As I don't have fullHD I can't comment on the CPU power required to activate ffdshow filters to gain the best results for fullHD upscaled playback. See my above post for my CPU loading.

What codecs are you using for MP video playback? I am using SAF 4.00 but as I stated earlier, there seems to be an issue with ffdshow upscaling with the default version. It also depends on how your media files are encoded. I have XVid/DivX encodes with a few H.264 files. I have tried seaparting my Blu-ray *.mkv encodes from those running standard defintion for easier ffdshow upscaling recognition.

Thanks for your advice.
    I clarify theses points:
    - i use in a single view
    - my windows desktop is 800x600 720P but i am open to change to match with my 1366x768 res of my display
    - i use SAF 4.00

How can i know if my tv set does 1:1 pixel mapping?

I assume i have to set my desktop res to 1366x786? But in ATI CCC, i don't see this resolution? Should i use Powerstrip or ATI tray tool?
    For postprocessing, i have to scale in ffdshow to 1366x768 also?

What the proper chain in my case?

Thanks

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't have any familiarity with plasmas, as I've never owned one. Given its native res. is close to my 32" LCD, I am assuming it is of recent manufacture (the last 2-3 years). The fact its native res. does not show in your graphics card control panel may indicate on of two things:

-your ATI card does not recognise that specific res., which I would be surprised at.
    -if your TV has multiple HDMI ports (I am assuming that is how you are connecting your PC to your TV), you may have connected it to a port that does not do 1:1 pixel mapping -my 32" LCD will only do 1:1 mapping on HDMI port 2.

How do you tell if your TV is 1:1 pixel mapping: the text edges will be sharp & defined. If you have access to a PC with an LCD monitor, adjust the res. from what it is set to, & you see what I mean. Compare to your TV.

You can try changing your HDMI cable to other ports on your TV. But reboot between attempts.

Another option is to try setting a custom resolution; if your ATI software will let you do it. Other than that, you would need to use a third party app, like Powerstrip, of which I have no knowledge.

For post-processing, read my earlier post, & try my ffdshow settings (just download, & double-click,then confirm. It just adds my ffdshow configuration to your registry). If you require HD audio, you would need to find a later version that handles both the HD audio & upscaling. I would start with the later clsid versions of ffdhsow, as they are modified: if the author is still compiling them. The issue is, there a number of different compilations, all with pros & cons. And different people state reasons why they all can have problems. All I know, is this version does what I need.

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Logically, I think the best would be:
    Video w/resolution-X ---- PC upscaling to 1920x1080p ---> TV w/resolution 1080p === ONE scaling processes

The way you have it now, best is probably:
    Video w/resolution-X ---- PC upscaling to 1280x720p ----> TV upscaling to 1920x1080 === TWO scaling processes

What you are doing now:
    Video w/resolution-X ---- PC upscaling to 2880x1620 + gfx downscaling to 1280x720p --> TV upscaling to 1920x1080 === THREE scaling processes

Hello,

- XP SP3

Check this thread and the monitor ID tool that is suggested to me
    I too have a pana plasma...

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-talk-45/resolution-confusion-71973/#post522043

My posts start on page 2 of the thread. Basically I came to the conclusion that the only resolutions I could achieve were the resolutions that monitor asset manager reported. I selected 720P as it was closest to the native resolution and set the desktop to match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom