Codecs (1 Viewer)

Neil1454

Portal Member
October 25, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm setting up MP for the first time. I've come to setting up the codecs.
I've been following a tutorial and installed SAF LOCKED on my Windows 7 Ultimate PC.

I've read that Windows 7 has it's own codecs so did I need SAF at all?
Or are there better results with using SAF?

Also if I do the UNLOCKED version, so I need to remove the whole previous SAF LOCKED version before I install the UNLOCKED?

thanks

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Neil... and Welcome!!!

Win7 has an excellent codec in the MS-DVD codec. I use this for live TV on 1 client. For all other clients, and file types I use the LAV codec package as I seem to get better results. LAV is an evolution on SAF (I think) and now seems to be the preferred codec of choice among MP users.

You can download and install it using the MPEI shortcut on your desktop.

If I were you I would use a combination of LAV and the MS-DVD codec, if you start installing other codec packs you may end up in "codec hell", although for what it's worth I also have SAF installed (but not used now) as there are some excellent fault finding tools with SAF.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    LAV is an evolution on SAF (I think) and now seems to be the preferred codec of choice among MP users.
    Minor correction: LAV and SAF have nothing in comment. LAV Filters are the actual filters, SAF is a codec-pack, which now also includes the LAV Filters.
    All credits for LAV go to Nevcairiel ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom