Coil Noise in HDD Power Supplies (1 Viewer)

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I recently moved my MP setup to a new laptop. As with my previous setup, media is stored on two external HDDs. Unlike with my previous setup, the power supplies for the HDDs constantly make a high pitched noise except when they are actively serving media. It seems to be coil vibration when they are not drawing current, on my previous PC it happened whenever the computer was powered down. So I take it to be a good sign - my new laptop is probably not accessing the HDDs constantly, which must be better for them and better for power consumption. But it's completely irritating.

Any thoughts on how to stop the coil noise? Especially without causing extra strain on the HDDs?

Thanks

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The noise is not generated by the coils but by the voltage converters.

I don't think that you can do anything other than to live with the issue.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    the power supplies for the HDDs constantly make a high pitched noise except when they are actively serving media.
    Perhaps buy replacement power supplies? The following have UK plugs, but I would expect that you could find the equivalent for your part of the world. Either of the power supplies would probably work with your disks (power requirements must be very similar between Seagate and Western Digital):

Seagate:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansion-External-replacement-supply-adaptor/dp/B005F0F118

Western Digital:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/western-digital-external-drive-supply/dp/B004P1WGPM

I have several of the Western Digital Green external USB disks, in 2TB and 3TB sizes, and they are effectively completely silent -- no mechanical spin noise, and no high-pitched electronic whine noise. :) However, my previous LCD TV (a Toshiba) did have a high-pitched electronic whine, and it was irritating. :( Opinions on the web suggested that it was caused by a defect in the power supply, but I lived with it until I bought a new TV.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the input. I'll look into getting some higher quality power supplies, these seem pretty cheap.

In fact, I bought the disks in the US and now live in Kazakhstan, so I wonder if the different power coming in might have an impact on these. Maybe if I can find some Euro/Asian standard supplies that will work with these disks it will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom