Color issue on DVD and movie playback driving me mad (2 Viewers)

canman

Portal Member
October 15, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi all,

I hope you can help me.

MediaPortal Version: 0.2 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
.NET CLR Version: 2
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 - 2.60GHz
Memory: 512 MB
TV Card Model: - ATI All in Wonder 8500DV
TV Card Type: -
TV Card Driver: -
Video Card Model: ATI All in Wonder 8500DV
Video Card Driver: -
Video Card Resolution: 800x600
Video Render Type: Overlay
Audio Card Model: Realtek AC'97 Audio
Audio Card Driver: -
Synopsis::

I can use media player, ATI player whatever I like to play DIVX, MPG, anything really and it all plays perfect. But when I play the same movies in Media Portal the color flickers from being OK to being totally wrong so blues look green and other colours look all wrong.

It does seem when you restart the PC and first open a movie in Media Portal that it plays OK for about 2-3 seconds and then goes to pot. Once it's gone mad it never plays correct again, yet I can close media portal and play it sweet in media player or anything similar.

I've tried all different codec combo's but can't seem to make any different what so ever.

Am I looking in the wrong place ? Am I missing something ?

Help...........

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

known problem of ATi Radeon 8500 based cards. These cards do not work, if colorspace YUV is used for output. The colorspace has to be set to RGB. This can only be done in the codec settings.

Example for MPEG2Dec (DVD, My TV, MPEG-Files):
    Configure (MP)->filter->MPEG2Dec Video->Enable YUV output (uncheck)

Example for ffdshow (DivX, XviD):
    Start->Programs->ffdshow->Video Codec Settings->Output
    -> Only check RGB32

If you use different codecs you have to check the colorspace output settings there.

Additional: Set Video Renderer to VMR9! Much better quality. :)

HTH, Flip.

canman

Portal Member
    October 15, 2005
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Bugger.......now I've got another issue.

Videos and movies all still playing well, but now my TV tuner has started to play up.

That was working OK before I started mucking around with the video stuff so I know it works with Media Portal and I can hear sound when I turn it on and when I change channels I can also hear it change to what I'd expect, but no picture. Just black.

What am I doing wrong ?

What options should I be selecting to get this working best with Media Portal ? It all seems quite specific to each card since it's in early days from a user friendly setup perspective, but I'm sure someone may be able to help out.

Just so you know, it works well with the ATI application outside of Media Portal. I seem to remember there being some mention of a plugin or extension to Media Portal to allow you to use the ATI TV recorder from withing Media Portal or something like that so you can enable timeslip which is currently unavailable.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm sure it's really obvious to you guys in the know, but to me it's very confusing at such an early point in my learning about all this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom