Colossus Bitrate Setting - I just don't understand it (1 Viewer)

Rob Crandall

Portal Member
December 11, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi,

I have been using MP (v1.8 currently) for some time to run my HTPC. I have DirectTv and a Colossus capture card on windows 7. Generally pleased, but I have an issue when it comes to setting the bitrate for recording shows. Recording through HDMI video and audio.

Recently my pc power supply died and until a replacement was obtained I connected the HDMI directly to my Samsung LCD. The picture quality was substantially better in detail. So when the PC was up and running again, I started testing some things to see if I could increase the bitrate of the recordings MP was doing. I cannot find anywhere where I can set these in the UI unless I used a new "manual" recording. However I use schedules direct plugin. Either way I don't think the settings are taking hold anyway.

So I downloaded the Happauge Capture application and was amazed that I could set the bitrate to constant all the way up to 20mb/sec with incredible recorded video quality. (verified with mediainfo application) However when I shut down that application and return to MP, I get recordings with bitrates averaging 7-8mb/s variable (again verified with mediainfo application).

Inspection of the relevant section of the TV Server log file shows some very strange bit rates and errors when executing a capture. See capture_log1.txt below.

I get errors reported setting the bit rate every time, for example...
[2015-02-23 21:59:08,669] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - analog: Encoder mode setting to ConstantBitRate
[2015-02-23 21:59:08,669] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [DEBUG] - analog: Encoder mode setTo FAILresult: -2147024865
[2015-02-23 21:59:08,669] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - analog: Encoder BitRate setting to High
[2015-02-23 21:59:08,669] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - analog: Encoder BitRate Min 100000 Max 20000000 Delta 100000
[2015-02-23 21:59:08,669] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [DEBUG] - analog: Range SetEncoder(BitRate) FAILresult: 0x8007001f

If there are any experts out there to help me, I really would like to lock the colossus encoder card to 20mb constant bit rate for all recordings permanently. I just cannot find where I would do this. I'm not a computer newbie, I have programmed apps in VS for a decade as well as worked with many s SQL server database.

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• mediainfo.jpg
    mediainfo.jpg
    94.8 KB
  • capture_log1.txt
    10.4 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Rob

TV Server has bit rate settings here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...n/02_TV_Servers/7_Scan_Analog#Quality_Control

Those settings work with the HD-PVR, but unfortunately not with the Colossus. As you've seen in the log, the Colossus acts like it supports the settings... but when we try to manipulate them it responds with an error result and doesn't change the settings. This is why the Colossus is stuck at default bit rates.

The only way to change the bit rate would be via an external mechanism. Perhaps as described by Chasseur93... or perhaps by using GraphEdit/GraphStudio/GraphStudioNext or similar to manually edit the Colossus capture and/or encoder filter properties (which include bit rate, resolution etc.).

Regards,
    mm

Rob Crandall

Portal Member
    December 11, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I will check into the above 2 posts and see what I can do. Does the Colossus have any published API? Or some other documentation on setting register values, a port/memory map or is all this top secret information? I wish I still had access to some good equipment like bus analyzers and I could tell you what is going down that pciE bus to that card. But, I'm retired now. At any rate, perhaps the development group could point me to any info and I can try to add my 2c to the mix. I worked for Intel for 13 years developing the Pentium processors and after that was heavily involved in software development for another 10, everything from assembly to .NET.[DOUBLEPOST=1424870185][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and just I other thought I had...perhaps a test build of MP could be arranged for colossus that eliminates sending any bit rate settings to the card, since they fail anyway. As long as the pc remains powered one could use a Happague supplied app, like Happague capture, make a small test recording with the selected bit rates and then "hopefully" the card would not change its recording setup unless asked. I have my system on a ups and have a whole house generator so I never loose power. Other's mileage may vary. Just a thought. I might come out of retirement just to get this thing to work right haha.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Rob

I worked for Intel for 13 years developing the Pentium processors and after that was heavily involved in software development for another 10, everything from assembly to .NET.
    Wow, that's impressive! You must have been involved in a lot of interesting stuff. :)

Does the Colossus have any published API?
    No, it doesn't. At least, not one that I'm aware of.

The API(s) that we currently support are Microsoft DirectShow's IVideoEncoder, IEncoderAPI and ICodecAPI. AFAIK they are industry standard on Windows, at least for basic settings such as bit rate. Colossus should support ICodecAPI. It acts like it does... but then fails to actually set values.

There's no other public or private interface that I'm aware of that would affect bit rate.

Or some other documentation on setting register values, a port/memory map or is all this top secret information?
    We almost always work with property sets (a subset of IKsControl) when we interact directly with hardware. The public APIs seem to use IKsControl underneath too. And yes, a lot of vendors will not share the details of their private IKsControl/IKsPropertySet implementations. More often than not they are secret... and for good reason. You need to know what you're doing when directly accessing I2C buses etc. It is easier (and cheaper!) to keep information private and avoid 3rd party developers ruining your company's reputation (when their code doesn't work correctly or at worst "bricks" hardware), than to document and release.

Oh, and just I other thought I had...perhaps a test build of MP could be arranged for colossus that eliminates sending any bit rate settings to the card, since they fail anyway.
    My expectation is that this would be superfluous. I'd be very surprised if the failing calls had any effect.

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Unfortunately I have to confirm the issue here. I have the same bahavior with my colossus (2). I know it worked really well in the past but now it doesn't. Count on me if you need tester for possible fix.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I know it worked really well in the past but now it doesn't.
    Really? AFAIK this has never worked, period. Nothing has changed in TV Server that would cause it to start or stop working.

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Really? AFAIK this has never worked, period. Nothing has changed in TV Server that would cause it to start or stop working.
    Just to be sure mm, i'm not talking of the TV Server bitrate settings but the Bitrate settings in external program like Showbiz or Capture from hauppauge. In the past, when I changed settings in those programs MediaPortal kept those changes to. But now it doesn't anymore. I always get Variable BitRate of +/- 6mbps. Before I was able to get constant bitrate of wathever bitrate I choose in Showbiz.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just to be sure mm, i'm not talking of the TV Server bitrate settings but the Bitrate settings in external program like Showbiz or Capture from hauppauge.
    Okay.

In the past, when I changed settings in those programs MediaPortal kept those changes to. But now it doesn't anymore.
    To be clear: MediaPortal and TV Server have absolutely nothing to do with those settings. They're Colossus settings which we're not able to affect in any way.

In other words, I'm saying to you that I'm not investigating. There's nothing for me to investigate. MediaPortal and TV Server have not been doing anything to "keep the changes" in the past, and nothing has changed that would cause the settings to be not kept now. We're still not able to affect the settings in any way.

Having said that, functions like this don't just break without a reason. I guess you'll have to ask yourself the standard questions:
    1. When did the behaviour change?
    2. ...and what did you change at that time that caused the behaviour change?

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    In other words, I'm saying to you that I'm not investigating. There's nothing for me to investigate. MediaPortal and TV Server have not been doing anything to "keep the changes" in the past, and nothing has changed that would cause the settings to be not kept now. We're still not able to affect the settings in any way.
    Thanks mm to confirm that MP has nothing to do with this "bug". I'll dig elsewhere and post my results here if it's positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom