Commercials cause tv to freeze (1 Viewer)

mosspalmer

August 14, 2005
Area: Media Portal Setup
MP Version: 0.1.3.0
Skin: Blue 2
Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
CPU Type: Intel P4m 1.86Ghz
Memory: 1024MB DDR 3200
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 875 (ASUS p4c800 e deluxe)
Video Card: nVidia GeForece 6600 (Gigabyte GV-N66256dP)
Video Card Driver: 7.7.7.7
Video Render Type: VMR Renderless
Video Codec Type & Version: DScaler I think, i swap quite frequently
Audio Codec Type & Version: ?
TV Card: 2 x Hauppauge Nova T PCI (90002 Version)
TV Card Type: Software DVB-T
TV Card Driver: 2.107 (i think)

Problem:
I think the title seems to explain this. I can watch tv, then when the tv goes from program to commericals, the sound continues but the picture freezes, if i press stop and turn tv on again it's fine, right up until the moment that the adverts go off and the program is set to come on again.. It doesn't always happen on all channels, i think E4 is the worst for it. I have a feeling it's something to do with the size change signals (what ever they are called) that get sent out when the channel moves from one mode to another. There may not be such a thing (as size changing signals.. very techie description :wink: ) but i'm sure when watching normal tv, the picture sometimes flicks from one size to another at the point where in MP i would get a freeze.

mosspalmer

August 14, 2005
Ok, it's Friends on E4 that causes it, and some programmes on ITV3 (i'm still looking into a list of ITV3 programs as i don't often watch it).

Does anyone have a clue what's causing this, i figure it has to be something to do with some sort of signal change when the adverts come on?

5teve

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    could be something to do with aspect ratio's try different aspect ratio's (pressing s) and see if that helps also try mpeg2dec codec as its pretty good

Steve

hakuna

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2004
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Have you learnt anything more about this? I get in on TV4+ in Sweden with my Twinhan 3030 dvb-t. I use dscaler since that cause the least choppiness.

/Niclas

Dricou59

March 19, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,

i've the same problem in france with the channel TF1. My tv card is an Hauppaugge HVR1110.
    Effectively, i think it's because the format is 16/9->4/3

Do you have a solution to this problem

hakuna

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2004
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I installed PowerDVD, trial version is ok, and use the Cyberlink video codec, this helped me. No freezes, no chop.

Pirax

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you use AC3 while watching TV? This could be an issue because the Sound switches from AC3 to Stereo on most Channels during the commercials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom