infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi.
    what should it show?
    Whatever the user wants as "entry screen". Maybe this new "Info screen" (as long as nothing else is configured), TV Guide, Online Videos or (for me this would probably be) TV Series...

How would you like to go/navigate from that entry point to TV/series/pictures/movies/music/games/weather/etc. and from one to the other?
    No matter where I am, I press the Green Button and I have an overlay with the "Basic Home" menu showing up. So I can navigate directly from one plugin to another (this includes the "entry" plugin) without the way back to home.I think this will be much faster, smoother as no need to load a new page, just a simple overlay.

And excuse me, I'm kind of a MP2 guy where "everything is a plugin", that's why I call this "plugin" also it may be part of "core" program...

So basically, you just turn the "homescreen" into an overlay that can slide in on top in any view.

Right?

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That menu is possible, i was implementing it on the community design skin a while back but on some screens navigation is not possible due to hard coded navigation.
    The idea of info screen for entry point is old and very cluttered plus most users would not even want all that info, mostly what home screens are now with latest media.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    most users would not even want all that info,
    That's why this should be configurable what is shown there or not. If the user don't want this Info screen (s)he just chooses another screen as entry point and probably disables info screen completely. I see this info screen similar to start pages of some web services where you have newsfeeds, latest blog entries, weather, date/time,...

just with a little twist in the way how it is presented.
    Skin is about how to present something. We can't use touch gesture as user did not have touch screen TV, we have limited # of buttons on remote but we need a way to navigate between plugins. Maybe we can add some kind of voice navigation (like StarTrek) but that's not implemented nicely at all. The touch screen tables and the Video Screen walls (known from some TV shows) are also not available to normal user so you need a kind of navigation menu. This can be a circle, a spider web or a bar like on this mockup or whatever you like. But some kind of menu is needed, I'm sure.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    most users would not even want all that info,
    That's why this should be configurable what is shown there or not. If the user don't want this Info screen (s)he just chooses another screen as entry point and probably disables info screen completely. I see this info screen similar to start pages of some web services where you have newsfeeds, latest blog entries, weather, date/time,...
    Too much configuration can also kill a product and the way its designed to look, configurable is a term that gets thrown in without too much thought into design. Yes it's great having configurable menus etc but not at the cost of the design and feel.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    A matter of balance between preconfigured behaviour and configurability... The product has to be usable right from the start. E.g. the user shouldn't be forced to do a channel scan before he can use TV. We ask for the country and see what TV tuners are available in the system. Based on this we can install predefined channel settings. I live in Germany and I have DVB-S2 tuners so I get Astra 19.2°E as preconfigured TV sources...

But if the user wants to dig deeper (s)he has to be able to do so. That's why I'm asking for configuration on every part of a HTPC.... And that's the most weak part (aside of some good looking skins) on MP2 atm. I can not configure most of the parts I want to in an easy way... I can do most of the stuff I need, but therefore I have to fiddle around with XML files and/or manipulate the DB directly. Not a common task for average users.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi.
    A matter of balance between preconfigured behaviour and configurability... The product has to be usable right from the start. E.g. the user shouldn't be forced to do a channel scan before he can use TV. We ask for the country and see what TV tuners are available in the system. Based on this we can install predefined channel settings. I live in Germany and I have DVB-S2 tuners so I get Astra 19.2°E as preconfigured TV sources...

But if the user wants to dig deeper (s)he has to be able to do so. That's why I'm asking for configuration on every part of a HTPC.... And that's the most weak part (aside of some good looking skins) on MP2 atm. I can not configure most of the parts I want to in an easy way... I can do most of the stuff I need, but therefore I have to fiddle around with XML files and/or manipulate the DB directly. Not a common task for average users.
    That is not really related to modern gui design though, they are options the core product itself needs to offer.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OFC. but if you don't think about configurability creating the design you will never reach a point the user is satisfied completely. Every user has completely different thoughts how "his" MediaCenter should look like. So we need to provide a platform where the user can come as close as possible to his personal taste. I'm a "fanart guy" I like to have as much pictures in background as possible, others want the software to look clean and easy. You never can add this to a single piece of code as long as it isn't highly configurable..

I don't think of this necessarily as part of MP1, more in a general point of view. Imho MP1 is dead and buried if it comes to "modern" features. As long as the skin engine is as it is now, as long as the code base is as it is now I think there is not much space for new features regarding design and usability. It's amazing how much talented people can get out of this "old lady", but there are borders no one can cross at all, I fear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom