Compression doesn't work (2 Viewers)

malloy

Portal Member
October 23, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi I'm sort of a newbie with MP and think it's fantastic. I have only one problem, when I try to compress a recorded show (usually manually) it get's through sort of halfways, sometimes only up to 16% at other times 68% or so, but then it get's stuck and nothing else happens and there will be a half- compressed mpeg-2 file on the disk. It happens with any of my recored shows, not only one. Is this a known glitch, should I report it as a bug? It's a pity because I usually transfer recorded files to an external media player and now I can't do that because it won't play the native MP-encoded files. Does anyone know about a standalone converter/compressor that I could use to convert to MPEG-2?
Any tip greatly appreciated.
Thanks
M

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    At this stage the compression isn't a great solution. I don't know about others, but I have never got it to work properly (apart from MPeg2).

Would love to hear if others have.

dipje

Portal Member
    May 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Every now and then I get a file that will not convert/rip to mpeg2 all the way through, but it is really not that often.

It's a lot of disc activity so maybe waiting it out helps? Can you play the files all the way through when you open them in another program like Windows Media Player or Graphedit?

the xvid/wmv compression never worked for me too, but I last tested it _way_ back and for xvid I didn't have the proper decoder. Anyway, ripping (I can't call it converting / encoding because it's more like rewriting the file) a recording to MPEG2 always worked for my analog recordings.

For digital it's a whole other story :).

malloy

Portal Member
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes, the partly converted files play fine in WMP, but waiting it out doesn't do it - after an hour or more they're still stuck.

Does this now mean I'm stuck with only being able to watch my recordings in MediaPortal?

M

Eeyore

Portal Pro
    April 2, 2006
    Newcastle, Australia
    Home Country
    converting to WMV works 100% for me, except for it always goes to 320x200 low resolution no matter the settings. I have lareayd logged this as a fault, and it hasnt been fixes in 0.2.1

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Compress to MPEG2, which actually doesn't recompress, only stores the streams in an MPEG2 container instead of DVR-MS and then use VirtualDub Mod or whatever you prefer ;) . Would be nice to compress to Divx/Xvid from inside MP, but I'd rather see more work being put in the new TV Engine and fixing bugs rather than here.

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you use the latest MP version 0.2.1.0?
    Please grab that one, uninstall your old version, delete the MediaPortal folder install 0.2.1.0. and try again?

You can also try to convert to mpeg using the VideoEditor Plugin.
    Just open setup-> Plugins and enable VideoEditor.

Please post if this works for you?

Regards
    Ralph

dipje

Portal Member
    May 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The process of converting to MPEG2 is done using two filters from Cyberlink.

You could do this manually via Graphedit (a DirectShow utility by Microsoft), and see if that works. But if the conversion from within mediaportal stalls, the manual method will stall too because it's the same process.

If you want me to take a little video or screenshots on how to do it, private-message me.

Also, if you have an Ati card with the latest drivers and the latest XCode package, there are some filters installed from ATI which can do the same as the cyberlink ones that Mediaportal uses. I have more success (for example, the cyberlink ones choke on my DVB-T recordings and work for analog, while the ATI muxers/filters work on both) with the ATI codecs.

So if you have a recent ATI card, install the XCode package, download 'Graphedit' from the download section at http://www.doom9.org/, and private-message me for help :).

Noelix

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2006
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Compress to MPEG2, which actually doesn't recompress, only stores the streams in an MPEG2 container instead of DVR-MS and then use VirtualDub Mod or whatever you prefer ;)

That's the best way right now. I got the compress to xvid feature to work with an older Elecard mpeg-2 decoder, but you can't exactly register it because it's so old, so after the trial period it puts junk all over the screen. In any case, the new tv server should solve the problems they've been having with this area. It will record shows directly to mpeg-2 instead of dvr-ms, and therefore it will be able to compress to a variety of formats much easier. Hopefully they are planning on incorporating that into the program eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom