Computer Hangs on channel scan (1 Viewer)

TonyR63

Portal Pro
December 1, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
instilled Media portal 1 and attempted to run a channel scan which crashed my Win 10 PC requiring a hard power restart. The screen just went blank occasionally flashing back to the channel scan but not enough time to action any command.. CTRL ALT Del did nothing needed to power down. I have two tuners installed Fusion DVB-T plus and a dual DVB-T Dual Express 2 PCIe. Both are installed correctly with no error in Device Manager.

Log files are attached>

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm confused. You say you're using MediaPortal 1 but your log files are for MediaPortal 2... :confused:

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Perhaps there are remnants of the previous Media Portal 2 installation remaining on my system. It was removed because I was advised it would not support Kodi as a client so I installed Media Portal 1 but go an installation error due to Win10 feature pack problems resolved with KB3099229. There was a bug in KB3010081 which took a while to resolve. How do I remove all remnants of MP2?

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Perhaps this is the correct log file.
    I was unaware the previous installation log was still on my system.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Tony, I can't speak for MediaPortal 2 at all. All I was saying is that it looked like the log files you provided were from MediaPortal 2. Indeed the date on those original log files is December 1 2015. In other words: it looks like you simply attached the wrong zip file.

Anyhow...
    The new zip file you've provided is the one I needed. I don't see any problems related to MediaPortal or your tuners in there. However I do see the following messages in the Windows system event log during the time you were scanning:
    "31/12/2015 7:40:15 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:40:41 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:41:08 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"

Given that these messages relate to your Intel GPU (AKA video/graphics card - the thing that's responsible for making your screen work), I'm convinced they're connected to the screen blanking/flashing that you saw. This is not an indication that your PC is crashing requiring hard reset; it's simply an indication that your GPU is running into problems. In my opinion it seems unlikely that the blanking/flashing has anything to do with MediaPortal at all. There are other identical messages that occur when MediaPortal is not doing anything:
    [collapse]
    "31/12/2015 7:22:46 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:23:12 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:23:43 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:24:08 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:24:34 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:25:00 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:25:28 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:25:54 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:26:21 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:26:48 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:27:15 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:27:41 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:28:09 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:28:39 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:29:08 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:29:32 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:29:53 PM";"Lfsvc";"(0)";"Information";"Geolocation positioning is enabled.";"1"
    "31/12/2015 7:29:53 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:30:21 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:30:48 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:31:12 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:31:37 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:32:02 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:32:29 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:32:54 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"
    "31/12/2015 7:33:20 PM";"Display";"(0)";"Warning";"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.";"4101"[/collapse]

I don't know what more I can say except ensure you've installed the latest/recommended drivers for your computer, and especially your GPU.

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello MM

Thanks for taking the time to review my log files and sorry for sending through the wrong ones initially.

I agree there is an issue with the display adapter driver however this only occurred immediately following the installation of Media Portal 1.

The specific computer, IBM Lenovo M85 has been running in our house solid as a rock for nearly 5 years. It initially came with Win7N and was replaced with Ubuntu 10.04 and MythTv where it operated as a media server for 4 years until Linux discontinued support for 10.04. I upgraded to 14.04 but I was unable to ever get MythTv working again in this new platform and gave up after 5 weeks of troubleshooting with MythTv support. I was advised to use Media Portal in windows so I installed a new clean installation of Win10 N in early October and the Lenovo has run without issue or error since, used to connect via Crome to ABC IView. It is fully up to date with latest Win10 updates and windows device manager shows no issues or conflicts.

So since the display driver issues directly followed the installation of Media Portal 1 I must assume there is a Software conflict and will have to uninstall.

This is a pity as I had hoped Media Portal might be a viable option. I did manage to get one of the tuners to scan and it did indeed pick up 22 channels but strangely no SBS channels which are available in our area and work fine on all other tuners. The Newer dual tuner Fusion DVB dual express picks up no channels which is very strange as it is attached to the exact same antenna.

I will first test with just the single tuner, the older Fusion card to see if the video issue goes away with the second dual Fusion tuner removed in case thee is a hardware conflict windows is not reporting.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm not questioning the stability of your hardware. Rather, I'm questioning the stability of your Windows 10 environment.

Your system event log starts at ~27 November. On that day there are a series of failures to start various services etc. etc. etc. followed by a "hard power restart". Not a great start.
    The following week or so seems to be comparatively trouble-free.
    After 8 December there's a gap in the log file until 31 December when it looks like you had to do another "hard power restart". In the intervening time I can only assume you weren't using the system at all.
    Since the system was powered up "today" (31 December) it looks like Windows has been flat out installing updates - 21 by my count - including KB3010081 which you mentioned had problems.
    I can also see that you only installed the TV tuner drivers "today".

Given such a record, I personally would not be confident to say the system "has run without issue or error since" October. I mean, if you haven't used the system since 8 December and a bunch of updates have been installed since then, how can you be sure that the problems were not introduced by one of the Windows updates? Obviously all of this is just my opinion and you're free to disregard it, but I do want to strongly challenge your description of the situation.

So since the display driver issues directly followed the installation of Media Portal 1 I must assume there is a Software conflict and will have to uninstall.
    As above: the display driver issues also directly followed a series of Windows updates. If you want to give up on MediaPortal and uninstall then that's your prerogative. I just wish I could point to a more definitive cause for your problems so that you'd believe me when I say that I honestly don't believe the problems have anything to do with MediaPortal.

This is a pity as I had hoped Media Portal might be a viable option.
    Yes, I agree - definitely a pity. I think MediaPortal is still a viable option if you can ensure your system is stable.

I did manage to get one of the tuners to scan and it did indeed pick up 22 channels but strangely no SBS channels which are available in our area and work fine on all other tuners.
    Presumably that's just down to the region you selected when you scanned. We know that some of our Australian frequency lists are either incomplete or slightly out of date. If you're confident that the SBS signal should be available then I'd almost guarantee you'd pick it up doing an Australia "all regions" scan.

The Newer dual tuner Fusion DVB dual express picks up no channels which is very strange as it is attached to the exact same antenna.
    For what it's worth: probably a simple compatibility issue given how old the FusionHDTV drivers appear to be (2007, 2010). Probably designed for XP and/or Vista. I'd have suggested to try changing the "preferred network provider" setting to "DVBT", and/or try changing "when card enters idle state..." to "stop card":
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/02_TV_Servers#Edit_Tuner_Settings

Regards,
    mm

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello Again

Thanks for the additional information and the information available in the Wiki is very comprehensive so I will work my way through this to get a better understanding of the features and functions of Media Portal. I removed the newer Fusion dual tuner express PCIe card and the display problems immediately went away. I suspect the Lenovo PCIe slot was earlier than the card as there are a few variations of PCIe. The dual Fusion express card seem to work OK in a different box so the card itself is not faulty. There was never a Linux driver for this card so it never got deployed in the MythTv so was previously unused.

Since the Lenovo has only a single standard PCI slot I switched the older single tuner Fusion Plus card with an old Kworld PC 160 -2T dual tuner which worked fine with Mythtv and found a VISTA 64 bit driver which seems to work OK with Windows 10. Media Portal was able to scan without crashing on both of these tuners and found 22 of the available 26 channels in our area. Again I don't understand why it does not detect the SBS channels which we use a lot but this is a separate issue.

I can therefore confirm the correctness of your assessment that Media Portal did NOT cause the video driver issue which was related to the loading the PCIe card in the Lenovo PCIe slot in conjunction with the other standard PCI Fusion card. I will continue to test the Kworld tuner with Media portal and see if Kodi clients can connect and watch live TV.

Thanks again for your assistance with my issues which was very helpful and most appreciated.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the update - I'm glad to hear you discovered the cause of the problem and didn't give up on MediaPortal after all. :)

Media Portal was able to scan without crashing on both of these tuners and found 22 of the available 26 channels in our area. Again I don't understand why it does not detect the SBS channels which we use a lot but this is a separate issue.
    Did you see my response on that subject?
    Presumably that's just down to the region you selected when you scanned. We know that some of our Australian frequency lists are either incomplete or slightly out of date. If you're confident that the SBS signal should be available then I'd almost guarantee you'd pick it up doing an Australia "all regions" scan.

In other words: I suggest you try scanning country "Australia" and provider/region "all regions".

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello

I will try all regions as advised with the tuner attached to the best outdoor areal. We installed a second one a few years ago not being able to get a signal splitter working reliably and used best quality quad shield coaxial so this should get us back SBS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom