Comskip: How to? (single-seat and server/client) (1 Viewer)

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Re: Comskip: How to?

dvbkiwi said:
    I have discovered that comskip works fine if I play my recordings from "My Videos"
    Interesting, I'll check out MyVideos too. Thanks for the input dude.

dvbkiwi said:
    I have also read in one of the forums that comskip in "My TV" only works on a single seat instalation.
    Hmm. That could makes sense if in a server/client setup the pre-recorded content is streamed in the same way the live TV is ....through that rtsp protocol or whatever.. I don't really know how it streams exactly. I'd love to hear someone say definitely that this is the case. A MP developer or something perhaps. Again, thinks so mitch for your input, dvbkiwi ;)

winterescape said:
    I think a big clue is here...
    dvbkiwi said:
    I have also read in one of the forums that comskip in "My TV" only works on a single seat instalation.
    Yeah could be, thanks.

dihoff said:
    i can't see a step that you have configured the chapter forward/back buttons - these aren't setup by default
    Yeah I left that out however I have indeed configured the chapter buttons. (I rip my own blu-rays, re-compress them using x264 and then mux it all into the mkv container, and unlike the rips people download off the net, I actually retain the chapter information :D ....the mkv container is awesome). Thanks for the suggestion though dihoff

dihoff said:
    i have it working here with MP 1.0.2, and comskip 0.80.027
    Awesome! Are you on a single-seat setup, or server/client? If server/client, I'll try out comskip 0.80.027. Actually I'll try it out anyway. Thanks dihoff.

Firentis said:
    Just be sure that comskip produce edl, log and txt files to same directory where is video file. Mediaportal should recognize files.
    I read somewhere in these forums (forget exactly which thread) that MP only uses the .txt file output to skip commercials. In other words, one can safely delete the .edl, log and logo output. Or better still, restrict comskip from creating them in the first place via configuring comskip's processing parameters.

Firentis said:
    Timelinebar wont show any marks or colors for commercials (would be nice addon).
    Hell yeah, like Myth-TV. That would be wicked. Do you know where one can make a feature request/suggestion?

Checkpoint:
    > I'm going to try comskip 0.80.027 and post the results
    > It looks very much as though one must have a single-seat setup, however this remains unconfirmed

dvbkiwi

Portal Pro
    November 2, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: Comskip: How to?

Would be nice if anyone with a Server/Client setup can confirm if this works for them when streaming from a remote server?

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Re: (Do you have a Server/Client setup? Please help us on last page) Comskip: How to?

In Short, its not supported in multiseat and never will in MP1
    infinityloop said:
    Thats also why both features are not officially supported in multiseat - and wont ever be in MP1.

SADFACE.

Thanks for this info romuz.

So the issue actually lies with RTSP I wonder if avoiding RTSP can workaround this problem?

I foudn this: TVplugin - avoiding RTSP in multiseat mode

EDIT: After reading through that thread it is clear that if one avoids using RTSP then comskip works. A popular solution is to employ "for the record", a 3rd party plugin which handles the scheduling of TV programs into MP's TV-Server, and changes the playback protocol of pre-recorded content

> Thread title fixed
    > Posted summary/solution back on first post

Thanks to everyone who shared information

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Media Portal will use the comskip data to automatically skip commercials when playing them back from MyVideos, but having them skipped within MyTV requires you to press "Chapter Next" or "Chapter Previous" on your remote/keyboard.

Actually no, this is not accurate. I installed comskip on a single seat system and have always played back the shows from “my tv” and have never used the chapter buttons, it just skips commercials automatically.

I just tested the chapter buttons and they do work but they were never mapped using the procedure you outlined.

I run MP 1.02 with a Hauppauge remote.

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I installed comskip on a single seat system and have always played back the shows from “my tv” and have never used the chapter buttons, it just skips commercials automatically.

First post updated

I just tested the chapter buttons and they do work but they were never mapped using the procedure you outlined. I run MP 1.02 with a Hauppauge remote.

Hmm yes. Recently I did a clean build/install to move from a single-seat to a server/client setup. When I installed 1.0.2, I found it odd that I didn't have to re-map those buttons and assumed that it must have been mapped by default in this version, or near this version of MediaPortal. Updated first post.

olli14

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    I have a multi seat installation (version 1.1.0 final). Comskip is only working after having finished a recording and then playing this recorded file with myVideos. In timeshift mode and when playing a file within myTV comskip doesn't work.
    I would like to use comskip in timeshift mode and in myTV too.
    What's the best way to get this issue working? Install e.g. 4therecord? Is 4therecord running well with version 1.1.0 final? Or should i follow the instructions in the thread "TVplugin - avoiding RTSP in multiseat mode" to get comskip to work?

Any help would be appreciated!

olli14

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: Comskip: How to? (single-seat and server/client)

afaik comskip in tvplugin only works when NOT using rtsp...

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi,
    I have a multi seat installation (version 1.1.0 final). Comskip is only working after having finished a recording and then playing this recorded file with myVideos. In timeshift mode and when playing a file within myTV comskip doesn't work.
    I would like to use comskip in timeshift mode and in myTV too.
    What's the best way to get this issue working? Install e.g. 4therecord? Is 4therecord running well with version 1.1.0 final? Or should i follow the instructions in the thread "TVplugin - avoiding RTSP in multiseat mode" to get comskip to work?

Any help would be appreciated!

olli14

You need to go back and read the first post. Basically you need to avoid RTSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom