Concept: Switch MP2 to D3D11/D2D rendering (1 Viewer)

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
September 29, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
I'd be interested in a snapshot. Would it be helpful to report all the problems I face? I'd only make the effort to summarize all issues, if somebody would also consider to fix those by time.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    IWould it be helpful to report all the problems I face?
    Thank you for your engagement but not really at this time. As soon as we believe that a testing version is sufficiently stable, we will publish this in the testing area.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Timhoh1234 you can find a fresh snapshot in first post! All changes from MP2.1 pre2 are included in this build. You can simply download & unzip to a temp folder and run MP2-Client from there. No installation is required.

The server side is the same as the normal MP2.1 pre2 release.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Timhoh1234 you can find a fresh snapshot in first post! All changes from MP2.1 pre2 are included in this build. You can simply download & unzip to a temp folder and run MP2-Client from there. No installation is required.

The server side is the same as the normal MP2.1 pre2 release.
    Thanks a lot (y) I just tried the build and it's basically working. Just I would like my last question again. It is of any need of help to feedback on how the build is working and which issues I see? It seemed not, but I'm little bit confused :confused:

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Just I would like my last question again.
    Thanks for your interested. We are currently busy finishing the 2.1 final release, so responding the the feedback (fixing the found bugs) will take some time.

This build is using the v2.6 SharpDX API, which is no longer maintained. I started few weeks ago updating it to the currently maintained v3 SharpDX API. Unfortunately the API changes are quite big and it takes some time. After that I will (with the help from morpheus_xx ;)) fix the remaining bugs.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    tested too !
    isee only one thing but only cosmetic, on WMC skin, in the setting sections, the list at left, when the text is too long for to be displayed inside the layout, it scroll vertical instead of horizontal.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    tested too !
    isee only one thing but only cosmetic, on WMC skin, in the setting sections, the list at left, when the text is too long for to be displayed inside the layout, it scroll vertical instead of horizontal.
    Don't you see any visual glitches? I remember from last time I tried it, a lot of font and opacity issues.
    As nothing was changed in between I'd expect to still see those. I guess I have to try it aswell :)

The WMC issue is not related to D2D.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Don't you see any visual glitches? I remember from last time I tried it, a lot of font and opacity issues.
    I did a very fast test and I see no glitches. Especially the nasty font rendering issue with Intel HD graphics was not visible any more. I will test this version more intensive later, but at first sight the no longer existing font rendering issue seems to be the only visible difference I could notice...

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    yep, i can see few "glitch" at least the "fade" on text.
    the last letter of the line is faded. also extra border as the down of "g" letter.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @aspik @morpheus_xx
    I gave the D2D version a try and document my first impressions here. I understood, that there are capacity bottle necks and at first the MP2.1 Final is target.

(+) impressions:
    • Fadeouts have a higher quality. There is no break point when the opacity come to almost 0 as in current version
    • In general all shapes are smoothly rendered and look as if edge-smoothing is on
    DX11_5.jpg
    (-) impressions:
    • Font issues
      • Almost all texts have a face out, even there is enough space for further characters
    DX11_1.jpg
    • Text height is often not enough and characters are cropped
    DX11_6.jpg
    • The gaps between font lines are too much (looks not good)
    DX11_3.jpg
    • TextCropping effect is not working any more
    • Overlaying images with transparency seem to have trouble (WMC menu items are much too dark!)
    DX11_2.jpg DX11_7.jpg
    • Rotation effects are resulting in grow effects (Playing icon is growing and shrinking instead of rotating)
    DX11_4.jpg

• Transition effects for Images are sudden (The smooth transition effect between two FanArts is gone)
    • "Shadow" effects are gone (In Windows 10 Theme some windows had something like a shadow)
    • Graphic card ventilator is no high level, so I conclude that more resources are needed
    • I had 2 crashes while using it for 15 minutes, nothing in logs
    In general I see a lot of potential (y) But as expected lot of issues to be resolved. I think some visual issues will demand not only a little time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom