Config crashing - bad codecs (1 Viewer)

Terry1536

Portal Member
February 16, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
The issue can be found at https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-2101?jql="External issue ID" ~ "3704" and the file name is mp_config_crash_28203.patch. Outside of the date of the file and the description of the problem being solved, there is no information of what to do with the file or any pointers to where to look for such information. Since I'm just a user of the files I download from this website, I don't readily see where such a file would fit in. Perhaps in the temporary extraction folder which is currently inaccessible for some reason. Any help would be appreciated since my searches for such information on this site have come up with a lot of answers to the wrong questions.

I understand now that this patch has been applied to current MP files and can't solve my crash problem so my logs are now attached. I'm running Windows 7 on a new Plextor 256gb SSD with a fresh OS installation.

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    It's a patch file to solve the issue and merge to master @ the time.
    That mean the fix is already in MP.

So if you get a MP config crash, it's surely not related to this, so better is to attach log with your step to reproduce the crash :)

Terry1536

Portal Member
    February 16, 2013
    Home Country
    MediaPortal configuration crashes shortly after choosing the mode. It does this immediately after a fresh install and when any subsequent attempt is made to run it or MediaPortal Client. It always fails displaying "Adding filters section."

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Then log :) (look for in signature or on wiki to how to get 'full log')
    Thanks.

Terry1536

Portal Member
    February 16, 2013
    Home Country
    All attempts to use Watchdog to get full logs failed. When using the top option with a MediaPortal.XML file borrowed from a working XP earlier MP version, the MP configuration program is bypassed and the MP client is run. When the TV is turned on, MP crashes then, in the watchdog module an exception occurs that stops the process. If continue is chosen, the process hangs on collecting the TV server logs. I've collected the logs that are generated. The error log is empty but logs giving my full system details and one that seems to indicate that the process stopped when attempting to load some audio file are present. These log files are in zip file "MediaPortalLogs_23_07_13__21_49.zip."
    When a fresh install of the MP client and server was done and the MediaPortal Configuration program was run, the top option in Watchdog failed again. But with some file manipulation. it was possible to get option 3 to put together a zip file with what logs were generated. Again there is no MP error file but some of the more general system event files may be pointing to something. It appears to me that the program is looking for a file on a network drive or a floppy. This shouldn't be happening. but maybe I'm looking at it wrong. This zip file is "MediaPortalLogs_23_07_13__22_25.zip."

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Terry1536

First, thanks for the logs.
    Given that the last entry in the configuration.log file is:
    [2013-07-23 22:08:07,180] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - add Video codec section
    ...and the dxdiag.txt file doesn't include a codec list with the error:
    DxDiag Previously: Crashed in DirectShow (stage 1). Re-running DxDiag with "dontskip" command line parameter or choosing not to bypass information gathering when prompted might result in DxDiag successfully obtaining this information

...I'd say you do in fact have a similar issue to the one linked in the first post.

For whatever reason your system is now in a state where MP and dxdiag can't determine which codecs are registered in your system. This could indicate registry or HDD corruption, or maybe just a dirty codec pack or media program install/uninstall.

I suggest to use filmerit to repair your DirectShow codec registrations... or do a clean install of the OS.
    If you use filmerit, please capture the details of the errors before fixing them (so that we have a chance to see what the problem was and see if we can avoid MP configuration crashing in future).

mm

Terry1536

Portal Member
    February 16, 2013
    Home Country
    Hello MM
    Thanks for looking at the logs and spotting the problem and giving the advice. However using filmerit won't help because that was one of the things I did earlier on in looking into this problem. It found three problem filters that were in the registry but the files did not exist so it erased the registry entries. Unfortunately, I don't remember the problem filters. I've uninstalled MP many times using Revouninstaller to cleanup as many leftover files as possible and get as clean a start as I could. I uninstalled SQL also and I would have uninstalled the "C" library too, except I have quite a few on my system and I don't know which versions or instances belong to what programs, so I let them be. Needless to say, the problem is exactly the same after each install. In fact the problem cropped up when I was installing the previous version of MP which I had been using and which is the version installed on five other network computers. I downloaded the latest MP version hoping it would solve the problem.
    Thanks for your help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Terry1536

The way I see the problem is this...
    No amount of uninstalling or reinstalling or upgrading MP will help. Parts of your OS registry are invalid, and the only way to fix this is to use a program that checks and fixes the registry (like filmerit) or to reinstall the OS. I'm surprised if filmerit doesn't see any errors. As I said previously, the DxDiag (a Microsoft system component) log shows really severe issues.

So again, your options are:
    1. Find and use a program like filmerit that validates and fixes DirectShow entries in the registry.
    2. Reinstall the OS.
    mm

Last edited:

Terry1536

Portal Member
    February 16, 2013
    Home Country
    Hello again MM,
    I found a program called Codec-Sniper (http://www.codec-download.org/codec-sniper.php) that found tens of broken codecs. Unfortunately, the delete function of the program didn't work for me so I had to do it manually. For some reason some could not be easily deleted in regedit. Deleteion failed. But I got enough deleted that MP config no longer crashes.

But now I have a new problem. MP client will not play the tv. It returns the error "Unable to play: live3-0.ts." Evidently, one of the bad codecs must have been a needed one. I uninstalled and reinstalled hoping the codec would get loaded but it didn't. How do I get the needed item loaded?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just updated title as this is not related to that bug.

Just install LAV view MPEI installer on your desktop and set that as your codec for everything. It should make everything just work

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom