Configuration errors and instability (1 Viewer)

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Over the past few days MP has become a bit unstable and I have noted an error when exiting MP Configuration. The logs don't give much help but they are attached.

I have tried replacing Gentle.Config from a backup, as this has previously caused problems, but that doesn't seem to be the issue this time.

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks
    RH

error.png

Attachments

• Configuration-Error.log
      142 bytes
    • Configuration.log
      26.4 KB

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It's a bit of an old version (1.17) so it's probably not possible to give you a new dll to pinpoint the problem, but as far as I can see in the (current, so it's possible that doesn't match 1.17) code it fails somewhere between adding the audio decoders (LoadAudioDecoderPlugins) and LoadDSPPlugins.
    Only thing happening there is that for all found decoders that are (have?) an associated .sf2 file it does a BASS_MIDI_FontInit, and that probably involves loading an xml that is invalid (or non-existent?).
    Does that ring any bells at your end?

Updating to latest Mediaportal won't probably fix the issue, but it sure does make it easier to find the root cause of it

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    It's a bit of an old version (1.17) so it's probably not possible to give you a new dll to pinpoint the problem, but as far as I can see in the (current, so it's possible that doesn't match 1.17) code it fails somewhere between adding the audio decoders (LoadAudioDecoderPlugins) and LoadDSPPlugins.
    Only thing happening there is that for all found decoders that are (have?) an associated .sf2 file it does a BASS_MIDI_FontInit, and that probably involves loading an xml that is invalid (or non-existent?).
    Does that ring any bells at your end?

Updating to latest Mediaportal won't probably fix the issue, but it sure does make it easier to find the root cause of it
    Thank you, no it doesn't ring any bells but it gives me something to look for. It is curious, because my installation has been working fine for a few years, ever since I solved my iMON and remote control problems.

Therein lies the problem, I am heavily reliant on iMON which has kept me on an old installation, and an old version of Windows. It might be time to consider upgrading but I need to be confident that the Soundgraph drivers will work on Windows 10 with the latest Mediaportal. I will put a post up asking around if anyone has managed it.

Thanks again.
    RH

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ok, yes that imon issue... now i remember...
    anyway, if your really get stuck with it, just say so and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of it

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    ok, yes that imon issue... now i remember...
    anyway, if your really get stuck with it, just say so and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of it
    Well now Mediaportal is refusing to start at all. I am getting another error message:

"The Application Has Failed to Start Because Its Side-By-Side Configuration Is Incorrect"​

I can still view TV channels through the preview channel function on TV server, and I have checked my music audio files and video files with Windows Media Player, all are working, so this looks like a serious fail of the MP front end.

I think the best option might be to do a reinstall. I can copy my skin files, databases, and fanart into a safe place before I do that, and I can make written notes for my settings.

Is there anything else you think I should do, or do you have any alternative suggestions?

Many thanks
    RH

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I would seriously do a diskcheck before you put any time in it. This sounds like some corrupted files...
    Is it by any chance an ssd with a underperforming powersupply?
    Other than that, copy the programdata to a safe place, uninstall/clean/reinstall is indeed the best option.
    is it singleseat or multiseat? If it's multi then you have to decide if you also want to uninstall/clean tvserver/mysql...

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    I would seriously do a diskcheck before you put any time in it. This sounds like some corrupted files...
    Is it by any chance an ssd with a underperforming powersupply?
    Other than that, copy the programdata to a safe place, uninstall/clean/reinstall is indeed the best option.
    is it singleseat or multiseat? If it's multi then you have to decide if you also want to uninstall/clean tvserver/mysql...
    Thank you for the advice. I will do as suggested with the diskcheck.

My OS is on a SSD, and my TV buffer is on a separate dedicated SSD. My media files and disk images are on two separate HDDs. It may be as you suggest, but this has been working fine for several years. Now, HDDs are big drains on power, and capacity has much increased since I built this installation, so it may be possible to get everything on to one HDD and do away with one of them, putting less strain on the power supply. But if I am going to go that far, I may as well do a complete new build as contemplated, with Windows 10 and the latest MP. As long as, well, iMON.

It is single seat. I would like to leave the TV server untouched if possible as it seems fine and took a lot of setting up.

Thank you RH

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok, then you have to be a bit cautious on what you cleanup
    HDD's are usually not so sensitive to small powefluctuations as SSD's so it might be worthwhile to check it out.

Just out of curiosity: can you check the status of that tvbuffer ssd? There's a lot of talk that it wears it out more than usually if used for buffering...

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    Ok, then you have to be a bit cautious on what you cleanup
    HDD's are usually not so sensitive to small powefluctuations as SSD's so it might be worthwhile to check it out.

Just out of curiosity: can you check the status of that tvbuffer ssd? There's a lot of talk that it wears it out more than usually if used for buffering...
    The timeshift SSD is fine at the moment, but it is quite new. You are absolutely right, timeshifting does put a strain on them, which is another very good reason to have your tsbuffer on a separate dedicated SSD from your OS. They are fairly cheap as you don't need a big SSD for timeshifting. I've replaced two worn out ones over the last 7 years, which isn't bad at all. But I don't watch a lot of TV compared to some people.

RH

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    uninstall/clean/reinstall is indeed the best option
    Just about done!

Most things are reinstated. A few issues with my Fanart, but I think that may be waiting for the scraper in FanartHandler to pick them up again from the old thumbs. Time will tell.

I have moved all of my files on to a larger HDD and reduced the number that I had from two to one, so if it was a power supply issue, then that should help. The only issue with that is the filepaths. I will get on to that question in a minute.

In the meantime, I have decided that it would be the right time to upgrade when Windows 11 comes out, but before then I am hoping to have a reply on my other thread from anyone who has got iMon working on Windows 10, to set my mind at ease

Now, the question of filepaths. I have combined two former drives on one larger HDD. I could set up a Network Drive to point to my moved files but that involves going through the router every time I want data, which seems fairly pointless to me, and potentially slows everything down. I prefer to use subst to achieve something similar but the settings are wiped at system shutdown. Where is this leading...

I thought there was somewhere in MP where I could instruct it to run a programme when it starts. Am I wrong?

I can easily write an AutoHotkey script and compile it into an exe. I would rather have MP run the script than put it into the Windows StartUp menu, as I want to ensure the process is completed before the main MP processes being.

Just for anyone's interest, this is how to use an AutoHotkey script to set up a 'fake' drive G pointing to a folder called 'G' in the root directory of the 'F' Drive...

RunWait %comspec% /c "subst G: F:\G",,Hide
    ExitApp

If there is a place where I can tell MP to run a program when it starts, that would be fantastic,

Many thanks
    RH

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom