configuration.exe keeps crashing on startup (2 Viewers)

foxx

Portal Member
December 11, 2005
Hi there!
I hope you are able to help me. Because this is freaking me out. :shock:

I can't get MediaPortal to run, because it keeps crashing at startup with an error.

This is my system setup:

Area: Media Portal Program
MP Version: latest CVS (mediaportal-cvs-01-05-2006--12-32)
Skin: mce
Windows Version: WindowsXP Service Pack 2
CPU Type: AMD K6-2 @ 450Mhz
Memory: 192MB SD-RAM
Motherboard Chipset: ASUS P5A-B, with ALI-don't-ask-me-chipset
Video Card: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 ULTRA
Video Card Driver: 61.77 --> Latest Driver which supports my Video-Card
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768, 32bit, 75Hz
Video Render Type: Overlay
Sound Card: Soundblaster 128PCI
Video Codec Type & Version: ffdshow (some december build)
Audio Codec Type & Version: don't know
TV Card: none
TV Card Type: --
TV Card Driver: --
Optional Log: Log just shows 1 entry: "Started new MediaPortal Wizzard" or something similar. Not very informative.

Optional References: Installed .NET 2.0, DX 9c, MozillaActiveX, Latest SoundDrivers, Chipset Drivers (ALI AGP, ALI IDE BUS), flashed newest MB BIOS (1011 beta 005)

Synopsis: MediaPortal Setup always crashes with an error, when starting up. Doesn't show any information, or error codes. It just crashes. ("configuration.exe caused an error and has to be closed")
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what's wrong. I tried it on my other computer with the same software-setup (WinXP SP2 etc) and it works just fine. But it has different hardware, of course.
Because it works fine on this computer i tried changing some hardware. Maybe there's something wrong with it. So I changed, the SoundCard, VideoCard, NetworkCard and SD-Ram. Didn't do the job. Still the same.

Before I tried the latest CVS, I tried different older versions of MP and it crashes with an exception error, instead of this "configuration.exe cause an error..."-error. So CVS didn't solve the problem.

Do you have any suggestions? Maybe someone tried the same Hardware Setup and knows a solution? Maybe there is some BIOS setting to be changed?

I tried different solutions mentioned on this Board, like installing directx_dec2005_redist.exe, removing MediaPortal.xml, replacing it with a MediaPortal.xml from a running htpc etc. Didn't solve the problem.

Win2k also doesn't work. --> same Problem. This seems to be a hardware problem, right?

This is freaking me out. I've been trying to solve this problem for a few days now and it's just frustrating. Why does it run on every other computer, than on mine??!! :cry:
Is there a way to debug this error? I don't know how to do a traceback. Can you tell me?

Thx for your help!

foxx

talos

Portal Pro
August 24, 2004
UK
I don't know if this applies to you, but this error occurs if you do not completely uninstall previous versions of Media Portal.
Make sure you completely uninstall older versions of MP before installing RC2. This includes deleting the Team Media Portal directory (back it up first if you need to).

foxx

Portal Member
December 11, 2005
Please read the Hardware requirement page:
Come on, this should run on my hardware. It even runs fine on my secondary computer, which has quite the same hardware.

this error occurs if you do not completely uninstall previous versions of Media Portal.
Make sure you completely uninstall older versions of MP before installing RC2. This includes deleting the Team Media Portal directory (back it up first if you need to).
This error occurs on a fresh installed box. So it's an fresh install of winxp and mediaportal.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Providing you actually get it running, performance will be a shocker as that video card cant do DX8 or DX9 (not even sure about DX7 for that matter) so the cpu will be put under lots of load. And the CPU is no there near the required level so if it could even playback a video (heck remain in the homescreen without 100% load) Id be surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom