configuration.exe starts unfocused/in background (1 Viewer)

hemi770

Portal Member
July 15, 2007
Home Country
My MP install (0.2.3RC1) also sometimes loads out of focus, which is an annoyance. I usually start it from a key on the remote, which works via HIP. I'm not sure if that's the cause of the problem or not.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    just enable "mediaportal always on top" in MediaPortal Configuration -> general ;)

I've had "mediaportal always on top" enabled for years. Hence why it used to work fine.
    I've tried removing the check mark, saving config, and setting it again, but it didn't help.
    I know that's what it's there for ;)

Any other ideas? I have no clue as to what could be stealing focus, as there is nothing else that should be doing so, especially not all of a sudden.
    Is it with 100% certainty coded so that MP steals focus once fully loaded?

By the way, programs starting "always on top" isn't the same as gaining focus. Gaining focus means that the application becomes active. On the other hand an application (or window for that matter) can very well be "on top" while still not have focus.
    do you run it in windowed mode?

because our HTPCs are started and shutdown several times a day, and MP is always "focused" after starting.

OleJ

Portal Pro
    September 13, 2006
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I run MP in full screen.
    When booting my HTPC Mediaportal is in focus like it should. But if I shut MP down and for example do a little webbrowsing, close the browser, start MP using the green button on my MCE remote (which girder links to MediaPortal.exe) then MP isn't always in focus (full screen... always full screen ;) ).
    The annoying thing is that it's only sometimes MP won't gain focus. Most often it's when my girlfriend tries to start MP :D But I've seen it quite a few times as well.
    I never had problems with it before 0.2.3.0.

Thank you

My MP install (0.2.3RC1) also sometimes loads out of focus, which is an annoyance. I usually start it from a key on the remote, which works via HIP. I'm not sure if that's the cause of the problem or not.

Do you mean HID? Otherwise: What is HIP?

In case you mean HID and you're not running MCE and you are using an MCE Remote, then how did you set that up? I would like to get rid of girder if possible. :)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What is HIP?

In case you mean HID and you're not running MCE and you are using an MCE Remote, then how did you set that up? I would like to get rid of girder if possible.

Hip is another Girder, both do exactly the same thing.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MediaPortal Configuration
    25/09/2007 [00:10h] rtv added: fixed: configuration in background after startup, splashscreen vanished too early

Can confirm this fixed with MediaPortal SVN-Snapshot: 09-25-2007 01-01h - Revision:16029

Okay, maybe for you guys the same fix would work for mediaportal itself - can all of you confirm that configuration.exe is focused now?

"gain focus" is indeed something different - you need a tool like "TweakUI" to change that setting and it needs a logoff / reboot to take affect. My fix however tries focusing on a deeper system level which should work regardless of that setting.

However I would be glad to get some feedback from Vista users as well.

OleJ

Portal Pro
    September 13, 2006
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Just tested with svn16000 where it didn't focus and installed latest (16049) and now configuration is focused.

Any approach that does the same to mediaportal itself would be appreciated. (unless it breaks a lot of things of course ;) )

OleJ

Portal Pro
    September 13, 2006
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Tested on Vista Ultimate

Clean RC2:
    No config splash screen (as it wasn't implemented until later svn) and MP takes focus just fine.

MediaPortal-svn--10-01-2007--01-02-Rev16081:
    Splash screen and MP takes focus just fine.

Was tested with firefox and a couple of explorer windows open. Tested launching config from both desktop shortcut and quick launch shortcut. AOK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom