Configure Mediaportal from a remote PC (1 Viewer)

TheLastV8

Portal Member
January 4, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Short Question: Is ist possible to configure mediaportal remotely from another PC?
Would save me a lot of running through my living room :).

Sorry if the question has been asked a thousand times, but everytime I tried to search something about this everything I came up with were threads about configuration problems with remote controls.
Thanks for answers!

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Oh that is a wonderfull Idea :)
    I don´t know if this is possible.
    Imagine: Config Mediaportal (Client/Server) from another PC and then do a automatic Restart of Client/Server to use the new Settings.

WOW :)

Da_JoJo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    thats why microsoft has this nice option called : remote desktop

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thats why microsoft has this nice option called : remote desktop

LOL....

yeah and some other guys invented VNC ... what a miracle....

:)

natomb

Portal Member
    July 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And it looks really strange when your wife watches her favorite in the living room while suddenly a log-off screen appears on the TV set

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am using the multiuser hack for rdp, so noone knows when i am accessing the box.

;)

TheLastV8

Portal Member
    January 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To be honest I didnt try with VNC or RDP because ive had bad experiences with these kinds of remote support tools and "graphic-intensive" applications. From random shutdowns of application, not starting again after ending the rdp session to a complete unresponsive system i didnt truly expect this to run cleanly. Of course this isnt a problem for TV-Server but on the client i doubt this is working.
    Tell me what happens if i logon my running mediaportal with rdp or vnc?
    Simple shutdown of Mediaportal as soon I log on, can i terminate the task or (low possibility!) it runs on like nothing happened?

Apart from that I would very much like the idea of having a real possibility accessing "Media-Portal Configuration" from a remote PC whitout the hassle of using VNC oder RDP.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    I havent had any issues with uvnc crashing any software. Occasionally its a bit iffy making a connection when the machine comes out of standby. Apart from that its pretty reliable. The advantage it has is that it has a lot of features vnc doesnt, including file transfer which is very handy. But if you want something more basic there are plenty of vnc's to choose from.

I can actually watch what shows are on using uvnc (handy to keep an eye on the kids). It runs mediaportal fine and reliably. No problem.

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To be honest I didnt try with VNC or RDP because ive had bad experiences with these kinds of remote support tools and "graphic-intensive" applications. From random shutdowns of application, not starting again after ending the rdp session to a complete unresponsive system i didnt truly expect this to run cleanly. Of course this isnt a problem for TV-Server but on the client i doubt this is working.
    Tell me what happens if i logon my running mediaportal with rdp or vnc?
    Simple shutdown of Mediaportal as soon I log on, can i terminate the task or (low possibility!) it runs on like nothing happened?

Apart from that I would very much like the idea of having a real possibility accessing "Media-Portal Configuration" from a remote PC whitout the hassle of using VNC oder RDP.
    I use RDP with a so called Multiuser Hack (google). This means, that you can access your machine with another user and the machine is not locked like it would be when you use the regular RDP. You can access the server and nobody will notice it.
    You can also acces TVserver configuration, and MP Client configuration, the point is, once you changed something in MPClient config, you need to restart the client, which kicks the active TV-user.
    I also sometimes use vnc, if my keyboard is not responding for some reason (my dinovo mini sometimes uncharchges, and therefore is not responding).
    cheers

joystick

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom