Configuring Connection MySQL Database (1 Viewer)

bgsteiner

January 29, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I cant setup the server because the database configuration that launches when I try to configure the tv server will not accept "localhost" as a valid hostname and I have no other way of connecting to the database when i try to use the ccomputers internal ip I get cant connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts

bgsteiner

January 29, 2013
Home Country
problem solved it took some doing but i made some changes in phpmyadmin to allow connections from any host under a new username

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    problem solved it took some doing but i made some changes in phpmyadmin to allow connections from any host under a new username

Could you please eleborate about this a little more?..as I might see a solution for my problem as well.

I have tried allmost everything that I could find in this forum to solve my problem that I get every time this error: "Connection failed
    Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts" When that configuration panel pops, fill out the computer name, and hit the TEST button.

What I have tried so far:

- Tried to do a clean install of Mediaportal (1.2.3), after a deep uninstall, keeping the current MySQL install.
    - Uninstalled Mediaportal (deepest availbale) including TV server and MySQL, deleted all associated directories in Program files and Program data (as if no Mediaportal has ever been installed)
    - Uninstalled MySQL, while keeping Mediaportal and mediaportal TV Server, reinstalled My SQL using the Mediaportal installer (1.2.3 FINAL version)
    - Uninstalled MySQL, while keeping Mediaportal and mediaportal TV server, installing MySQL 5.6.xxx (=latest version available from the Oracle website), setting up with Username "root" and password "MediaPortal"
    - Tried all of the above, but then with Mediaportal 1.3.0 RC
    - Installed the loopback network adaptor, with IP 192.168.2.1 and tried that as the Host, no success (used that successfully before this ordeal started)
    - all of the above also tried with the Windows firewall turned off completely.
    - Tried to tweak the MySQL server and database using MySQL workbench, but I have not the knowledge to work with that.

What happens all the time when I do a clean install including the MySQL server using the Mediaportal installer is that an error pops up that it cant set the password, when clicked that error away, installation stops, but when the installer is restarted, the installation shows MySQL is installed and continues with the TV Server and TV plugin installation. I can remember this was already so when I installed Mediaportal on Windows 7, about a year ago, but was never a problem.

Note that this ordeal started after the database got corrupted, and I was unable to repair the database (according the command line instructions that can be found elsewhere in this wonderful forum). This happened a few month ago as well, and then I was able to get things right by uninstalling MySQL and reinstall, using the mediaportal installer, but this time this stubornly keeps failing.

After thinking about this for a few hours now, I think it might be something else, outside of Mediaportal or MySQL. it might be the OS (Windows 8 Pro) itself that blocks the connection, maybe some freakin registry setting or something like that, a dll that is corrupted.. whatever.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!!

bgsteiner

January 29, 2013
    Home Country

Could you please eleborate about this a little more?..as I might see a solution for my problem as well.

I have tried allmost everything that I could find in this forum to solve my problem that I get every time this error: "Connection failed
    Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts" When that configuration panel pops, fill out the computer name, and hit the TEST button.

What I have tried so far:

- Tried to do a clean install of Mediaportal (1.2.3), after a deep uninstall, keeping the current MySQL install.
    - Uninstalled Mediaportal (deepest availbale) including TV server and MySQL, deleted all associated directories in Program files and Program data (as if no Mediaportal has ever been installed)
    - Uninstalled MySQL, while keeping Mediaportal and mediaportal TV Server, reinstalled My SQL using the Mediaportal installer (1.2.3 FINAL version)
    - Uninstalled MySQL, while keeping Mediaportal and mediaportal TV server, installing MySQL 5.6.xxx (=latest version available from the Oracle website), setting up with Username "root" and password "MediaPortal"
    - Tried all of the above, but then with Mediaportal 1.3.0 RC
    - Installed the loopback network adaptor, with IP 192.168.2.1 and tried that as the Host, no success (used that successfully before this ordeal started)
    - all of the above also tried with the Windows firewall turned off completely.
    - Tried to tweak the MySQL server and database using MySQL workbench, but I have not the knowledge to work with that.

What happens all the time when I do a clean install including the MySQL server using the Mediaportal installer is that an error pops up that it cant set the password, when clicked that error away, installation stops, but when the installer is restarted, the installation shows MySQL is installed and continues with the TV Server and TV plugin installation. I can remember this was already so when I installed Mediaportal on Windows 7, about a year ago, but was never a problem.

Note that this ordeal started after the database got corrupted, and I was unable to repair the database (according the command line instructions that can be found elsewhere in this wonderful forum). This happened a few month ago as well, and then I was able to get things right by uninstalling MySQL and reinstall, using the mediaportal installer, but this time this stubornly keeps failing.

After thinking about this for a few hours now, I think it might be something else, outside of Mediaportal or MySQL. it might be the OS (Windows 8 Pro) itself that blocks the connection, maybe some freakin registry setting or something like that, a dll that is corrupted.. whatever.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Here is what you need to do instead of using the computer name you need to use the ip of the computer eg. 192.168.1.xxx which you can get by opening the command prompt and using ipconfig and looking where it says IPv4 adress. that should allow you to connect to the database on the computer. If you get "hostname" is not allowed to connect to the database, you need to setup a SQL user that has access from all machines or grand root access from the ip you used earlier.

I also recomend using XAMPP if you continue to have trouble with the database as It comes with apache, MYSQL, and phpmyadmin. This would greatly help you manage the database if you still have trouble.

If you need further help i will continue to watch this thread or you can pm me

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Finally I got it fixed, I do not exactly know what happened, but what I did was the follolwing

I downloaded and installed XAMPP, while the program itself did not work at all, (Msql running, but clicking Admin button behind it, nothing happens) I went into the XAMPP directory/MySql, and found there a little BATfile RESETROOT.BAT.. just for the sake of it I ran that file, and low and behold it starts repairing all kind of things, one or two files (databases) were repaired and the password reset!

After that did a reinstall of MySQL by Mediaportal, and the I was able to get an all green in the MYSQL configuration panel of TvServer config!! Pfffff.

Scanning Cable TV and radio channels as we speak !

Thanks a lot, at least you did point me in the right direction! You saved me from reinstalling Windows 7!

Marco

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well.. it worked for a day, when again I suffred a BSOD and again the database corrupted.. I decided to do a complete clean install of Windows 8 Pro (it was an upgrade from windows 7).

After windows 8 was installed, everything went smoothly, now even the Mysql configuration doesnt pop up when starting the TvServer for the first time.. it just works! I also got rid of the error that during the MySQL server, the Password could not be set.. I got that error since I went over to Windows 7, 2 years ago. Ok, now installing the rest like virtual clone drive, Black glass skin LAV filters etc.

Lets hope it remains stable now.. at least MP 1.2.3 works very well with Windows 8 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom