CONFUSING Skin names (1 Viewer)

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    What's with this trend for naming skins using verbs, nouns, and other words that describe something completely irrelevant to the skin?

MediaStream and StreamedMP - doesn't actually stream MP, does it? I thought from the names that these skins somehow were able to do things MP can't do. Maybe I'm wrong and they actually enable the streaming of video and audio from/to external devices and servers?

Media Network

Disasters MP - this confused me for a while. I thought someone was commenting on problems they were having.

It's only one person's opinion, so don't take offence. I think these names will confuse new users, as they imply things that aren't necessarily true about the skin. Of course, artists can call their works anything they want, but I thought it worth mentioning that at least one user gets confused when seeing threads about these skin names!

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    MediaStream was the name chosen for the skin by Team Razorfish (the original designers), so when it was ported to MP, the name was kept. StreamedMP - well that was a slight variation on MediaStream (as it is not an identical port).

As for Disasters MP.. well.. :)

Oh and as for streaming Video/Audio - of course MP does that, its how the client server/tv works ;)

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    If an application talks about different "Skins" it refers to look and feel, not functionality..... A "Plug-In" on the other hand would mean adding functionality onto an application. These are general terms used all over the web...so cant see how this would confuse anyone.. :)

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I agree with Geov.
    If you would just read the first post of the skin files for example things will already be much clearer. And as Geov sad; skins are just look & feel nothing more (no functionality).
    I think there are more confusing bits for new users such as the forum which is huge. If you want all the latest and greatest lots of times you'd have to dig thru forum posts. SVN is there but especially for skins not really used. People that don't know how to handle SVN won't know what to do there.
    Just too name a few things I think are confusing.

Besides that. If you don't know what a skin would look like or what a plugin does just install it and try it out right? The installation is not confusing at all so most of the stuff out there you'll get to work real easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom