Connected TV / Smart TV (1 Viewer)

onetoomany

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
UK
I've been playing with a friend's new TV - which has Skype, iPlayer etc... built into the TV as apps.

This got me wondering whether there is a coding genius with spare time who could create an MP app? At the moment, if I want to roll out a new client at home, I need 1x TV, 1x computer, 1x MS7 license - this makes a new TV quite pricy. If we could have a simple stripped down MP app, then all I would need for a new client is 1x Smart TV.

R

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I very much doubt that this is going to match up with the direction that Team MediaPortal is heading.

It is probably best to get a cheaper TV without all the gizmos, and get an HTPC with the cash you have saved :D

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    I have had the same thinking a day ago also :)

I think that this could be as Small client as SlimTV for MP2. THis is not impossible to make UPNP controller with TV for
    MP2 strategy. WHy not?

I would say that in nearest future there will be more permformant Smart TVs and not big saving buying without such feature.
    Also possible that there will be NO just TV :)

Arturas

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Bumping this thread as Smart TV's are now common place, getting cheaper every week and getting more and more and improved features..

since spring 2014 I have a Samsung 40"1080P Smart TV, and yesterday I discovered in Popcorn Time you can directly stream a movie or TV-series to the TV. In stead of using the Popcorn internal player and send the decoded video over the HDMI, the TV's internal hardware codecs are used to decode the movie. This results in much better quality of the movie (smoother) (Popcorn time just shows two options, Play with Popcorntime, or Play with TV) Disadvantage, audio is also decoded in the TV, which has not the nice speakers I have on my receiver, but this can be solved by using Audio Out on my TV. Another disadvantage is the subtitles do not work.

So I wonder if this is also possible with MP, probably not with all movies and video's, but with the most widely used formats, it should not be a problem (MKV, MP4, TS, etc.)

With Popcorntime I am not sure if the the movie is now sent over the Wireless network (The TV has a working WIFI) or the HDMI, I was just surprised this was possible in the first place:)

I am thinking of a adding a selectable option in the Mediaportal TV/Radio and Video settings like "Stream video to Smart TV if supported"

Anybody working on this? or is there already something available? I am not a programmer, so I have no idea if it is possible with MP, but I am sure it would be very nice and a great improvement in picture quality.

Thanks!

Marco

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I think MediaBrowser 3 is ahead of MP regarding this. I dont think they have an app for Samsung tv yet but it will probably come. Their server can directplay/transcode to general dlna devices as well as devices that have an app that support MB3. Subtitles are burnt into the stream if the device do not support displaying subtitles.

There is a MB3 plugin for MP.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ah, DLNA it is, well, should there not be a plugin to enable MP to use this? Maybe something to think about for MP2.

MB3 looks like a replacement for MP, but a short scan of the website learns it does not support live TV (yet), the Wiki chapter for Live TV is empty. MP is much more versatile, in configuration and adding plugins.

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    MB3 dont need to be a replacement for MP. One can use their server together with the MB3 plugin in MP. Benefit is that the movie/serie database is centralized and watched status is stored per user. So you watch a movie in bedroom with Kodi and resume it in livingroom with MP or iphone/ipad/android unit. Handling of metadata is done through the servers webpage.

Live tv exist in MB3 but they dont have an own solution but instead have plugin for existing tv-servers. MP tv-server has just been added in beta. All MB3 clients do not yet have live tv support.

Im not using MB3 fully myself yet but will probably do so quite soon. This together with MediaPortals MB3 plugin.

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    All MB3 clients do not yet have live tv support.
    Oh, that's not true! Live TV is supported in their Webclient, on Android, on an Windows 8.1 app, on Roku and in their own mediacenter "Mediabrowser Theater"! For iOS it is in developement.

They also have an app for Samsung SmartTVs ;)

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yep, and I just bought an Amazon Fire TV for £64 and with the new MB3 Android 10ft Client app (http://mediabrowser.tv/community/in...-154-coming-soon-to-your-android-living-room/) + the MP live tv plugin it's definitely the way forward.

Also has the benefits of proper apps e.g. Netflix, Sky Go etc

I still use MP on my main living room PC but have MB3 apps on all other devices as well as using the web client.

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Haha, I wrote that ALL clients do not yet have support for live tv yet;) i know that some has.

Still, in my opinion, MediaPortal is still the best client but Im always looking for good bedroom/kidsroom inexpensive clients.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom