Connecting HTPC with AV-reciever (1 Viewer)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Unfortunately no matter how much i search i cannot find SVS sunwoofer here.... i am sad.

Any other alternatives?

Another questuon is how do u guys run ur speaker's crossovers?

Do u crossover all of them at 80 as per THX and Audyssey recommendation? Or u let them run full band?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It depends on the speaker and the subs capability.

I think crossover at 80 should be fine. Audessy will analyse your speakers and suggest a cross over freq.

You could probably do anything between 60 and 100. Ideally the cross over should be atleast 10hz adove the -3db point and you should set the cross over the same for your front and Centre.

Setting it even higher will ease the load on the speakers and allow them to perform better at other freq (when they are pushed hard).

Setting the cross over above 120 is bad because you start to localize sound above this frequency. So instead of the sound coming from the Centre you will hear part of it coming from wherever the subwoofer is placed.

My current subwoofer isn't great and since all my speakers are pretty huge and my rear speakers are towers I'm currently running them all full range but when i get a better sub I'll cross them at 50 or 80 (ideally I'd choose 60 but it's not an available on my pioneer).

Rythmik is another sub brand similar to svs. There is also hsu and sunfire (they make small sized subs). These brands typically have good performance per dollar.

If you can't get these brands then maybe velodyne. You could also get 2x second hand subs.

Last edited:

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Thanx for the info.

Currently running center at 60hz crossover and left/right at full band since they are much bigger speakers.

As a side note Audyssey detects all my speakers as full band but i dont like the resulting sound that way, voices from the center are too boomy for my taste. So i have it on 60 crossover, this way dialogs are much more pleasant to my ears.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You don't have a sub yet correct? The above advice was for with subwoofer.

If you don't have sub yet then you should also try;

1. Set all speakers to large. This will disable crossover. The sub channel will be mixed into all speakers.

2. Set fronts to large and Centre and surrounds to small. Cross over to lowest setting possible (or set to zero/off if possible). This will send the subwoofer channel to the fronts and anything below the crossover freq in the surrouds and center will also go to the fronts. This sounds like what you are doing now, but you could experiment with lowering the cross over further.

I think option 2 is best until you get a sub. Because you don't want your Centre or surrounds to have to work harder playing the sub channel and you don't want to work your fronts too hard by forcing them to do too much work from the other channels (hence the lower crossover)

Last edited:

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    My bad, i didn mention that i do have a sub, my friend gave me his Sony sub until i get my own.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Bass is the hardest freq to reproduce so the more you off load the speakers the easier it is for them. But it's a balance. If you set the xover too high then you start to lose directional sound and the sound will be split. Also if you offload too much the subwoofer may struggle and will clip and distort.

If the sub is not a very good sub you could still try option 2 with as low a x.over as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom