Connecting HTPC with AV-reciever (1 Viewer)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Nothing particular. Trying to compare results. Are you satisfied with the NS-333? When are u planning on getting NS-555? I am considering these speakers. Its gonna be either NS-333 or TSx220B from PolkAudio.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    I’m very happy with the NS-333 and the fact that I could get them on sale for just 150€ (pair!) makes me even happier :) Can’t say much about the sound quality, because compared to my old ones (Logitech Z523) nearly everything would sound better ;) I’m not planning to buy the NS-555 in near future; currently I’m good with the NS-333.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What i recommend is.

1. Center speaker and subwoofer are the two most important speakers. Most of the sound comes out the center speaker in a movie. The subwoofer has the hardest work load bc it plays the subwoofer channel and all the bass that is below the cross over freq in all the other speakers (including the main front speakers).

2. Therefore get the best center you can, and plan the other speakers around your center.

3. There is no point going big on the left and right front speakers if the center can't keep up. You are best to get fronts that have the same size drivers as the center and spend more money on the sub.

4. The avr will set a xover for all speakers so there is zero advantage in having main speakers that dig deeper than the center speaker. This is because the x-over setting will be governed by how low the center speaker goes.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Check out

SVS speakers and subs.

Also KEF e305. This is on special for 1100 $nz. If you can buy for this price buy it. Then sell the sub and buy an svs sub (eg. Sb2000 pb2000 pc12 or pc13).

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Those are valid points, but I am using my HTPC not only for watching movies/series but also for listening to music. For music the front speakers are very important and I simply don't believe that those 5.1 sets can compete with bookshelf/floor-standing speakers.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I simply don't believe that those 5.1 sets can compete with bookshelf/floor-standing speakers.
    A good 5.1set is better than a bad 2.0 set for sure. If you spend lets say 100 bucks for a pair of "Stereo" speakers and you spend 1000$ for a 5.1 set I'm pretty sure the 5.1 set is better also to listen to music but will offer you full surround sound while watching movies too... But if you compare a 1000$ 5.1 set with a 1000$ pair of stereo speakers most likely the later will have a much better sound...

By the way, no one will prevent you from using a pair of good speakers as front speakers and add an cheap(er) and small(er) set of back speakers to have surround sound if needed but good stereo sound when listen to music. That's how I've done it all the years I'm using 5.1 now.
    More important is a proper fitting centre speaker. This one should be on a similar level than the two front speakers. At least in the mid range frequencies and especially if you don't have a good microphone for calibrating the 5.1 sound. My old AVR did not offer a calibrating microphone and for this I never was satisfied with my centre speaker. The new one has an automatic calibration and my wish to replace the centre has faded away away away....

By the way, welcome to the dark side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom