Connecting MP2 client to MP1 TVServer across my network (1 Viewer)

kpatch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hello:

I an trying to get an MP2 client to connect to an MP1 TVServer on my network. I have done the following:
    • installed the MPExtended Service on the host machine.
    • Its configuration app suggested I install the Bonjour application, which I have also done.
    • I have also downloaded , extracted (not using Windows Explorer) the SlimTV MPExtended files and placed them in the Plugin directory of the MP2 Client.
    Unfortunately, when I start the MP2 client on the remote machine, the SlimTV plugin does not appear to be available.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    You need to set up and run an MP2 Server also. This can be on the same machine than your MP1 TV server or on a different one. Best is to install it on the same machine than TVserver. But you need a MP2 server to use SlimTV. And you need to install the MP2 SlimTV server plugin too (it's providing e.G. Channel logos,...)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    installed the MPExtended Service on the host machine.
    good

Its configuration app suggested I install the Bonjour application, which I have also done.
    not required for MP2

I have also downloaded , extracted (not using Windows Explorer) the SlimTV MPExtended files and placed them in the Plugin directory of the MP2 Client.
    good.

Unfortunately, when I start the MP2 client on the remote machine, the SlimTV plugin does not appear to be available.
    bad. The SlimTV Client should appear in any case, even if provider is missing or there are duplicated ones. Have you scrolled down the homescreen to check all items? There were issues for new users to see that there are more items below (fixed in next release).

You need to set up and run an MP2 Server also. This can be on the same machine than your MP1 TV server or on a different one. Best is to install it on the same machine than TVserver. But you need a MP2 server to use SlimTV. And you need to install the MP2 SlimTV server plugin too (it's providing e.G. Channel logos,...)
    MP2 server could be left away, but you will loose most benefits of MP2. Also the SlimTv.Resources plugin for providing channel logos is optinal (but still recommended).

@kpatch, please post your logfiles

kpatch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks, Morpheus_xx.

The reason I am doing this is because my capture device is a Hauppauge HD PVR. I installed the replacement DLLs into my MP1 as recommended by "mm". However, he explained to me that those libraries would not work with MP2.

I was able to get the MP2 client to connect to my MP2 TVServer...with a little trial and error.
    • I installed the MP2 client and server on systems on which I am running the tests.
    • I disconnected the MP2 server from the clients on both systems.
    • The SlimTV-MPExtended plugin does not appear on its own in the plugin list. However, by selecting the settings for the TV plugin, I was able to set the MPExtended server address.
    • Returning to the Home screen, when I selected TV, SlimTV fired up by default.
    • The MP2/SlimTV now functions on both systems.
    I hope you don't mind if I provide some comments/observations on the SlimTv client:
    • The Guide only shows programs currently playing. Will the final version show the full EPG as displayed in the MP1 (or MP2) client?
    • I was unable to select a channel by directly entering the channel number. Instead, I had to PageUp|PageDown to get to the desired channels.
    • There does no appear to be a way to easily toggle between normal window mode and fullscreen mode in the interface.
    Thanks again for your help.

Patrick

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The SlimTV-MPExtended plugin does not appear on its own in the plugin list. However, by selecting the settings for the TV plugin, I was able to set the MPExtended server address.
    This normal, you will always find only "SlimTV", as it is the GUI, no matter what provider you use (MPExtended/Native)

The Guide only shows programs currently playing. Will the final version show the full EPG as displayed in the MP1 (or MP2) client?
    You have the "mini guide" (showing up with ENTER or OK on remote) in fullscreen, this one you know already. Then you also have the full EPG (key: "G", or in SlimTV screen by expanding menu). Here you have (most) you know from MP1: scheduling etc.

I was unable to select a channel by directly entering the channel number. Instead, I had to PageUp|PageDown to get to the desired channels.
    You are right, this is not yet supported. I'll put it on todo list :)

There does no appear to be a way to easily toggle between normal window mode and fullscreen mode in the interface.
    You can use "F" (or remote: RED) to switch to fullscreen. remote: YELLOW toggles between primary/PiP player.

See this wiki for a full list: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/9_Reference/Keyboard_shortcuts

kpatch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Morpheus...thanks very much for all the valuable info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom