Connection to SQL database failed. (1 Viewer)

feriso

Portal Pro
March 20, 2008
I have a strange problem that I can not connect to my database.

It started one day after for some reason my htpc froze and upon reboot the HD with MP on went missing. Now I was going away for the weekend so I just turned it off and said I'll sort it afterwards. When i returned the HD appeared again and there was nothing in logs or in SMART that showed an problems so its a mystery.

This happen about two weeks ago and since I have been unable to connect to my database; the short of it is that it could not connect for whatever reason. Whenever I started up the tvserver configuration and went to test the configuration it would come up with

"Connection failed
Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts"

Now I've tried unintsalleing just the MySQL program and reinstalling
complete MP uninstallation and reinstall

but nothing seems to help it connect to the database.

What am I missing here?

Network is fine as I can browse the rest of my network and use internet and it is assigned a static IP

mdskelton

November 20, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am having the same problem. I am attempting a new default installation of MP V1.2.3 on Win 7 64-bit Home Premium SP1. When I try to open the TV Server config the Database Connection window, I changed the Hostname to my computer name. When I click on test, I get the same error,
"Connection failed
I tried running MySQL Workbench and it says the server is not running. When I click on start server, it will not start.
I am using the MySQL V5.1 which MP installs and I have rebooted many times.
How do I fix this? Will MySQL V5.5 work with MP? What is the preferred database for Win 7 64-bit?

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have been trying to do a clean install the whole night on a windows 8 pro HTPC, but fails big time! During installation of the MySql server an error appears that it cant set the password, when clicked that away, install continues, but them when I try to start the TvServer config, I get the same error's as above.. "Connection failed

I also tried to install MySQL 5.6 first and make sure the password is MediaPortal, and then install Mediaportal and tell the installer that the MySQL is allready there. But Same error again.

During some of my attempts I also got the error: Server did not allow connection to the MySQL database (or something similar, during the database connection procedure right after double clicking the Tv Server config icon)

Please help, I have tried everything and do not know what to do next.

BTW, this whole ordeal started when I got a BSOD, and the TV database got corrupted and was unable to start live TV. Repair as instructed here on the site did not work (it could not repair the database). It is really a shame this happens, it has been working pretty well for quite some time on this windows 8 machine.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok, little update on my situation.. With XAMPP installed I was able to repair the MYSQL database, using the Resetroot.bat routine, for a while, but after again a BSOD, I was fed up with the whole situation and decided to do a clean reinstallation of Windows 8 Pro.. Since then everything went smoothly, after installing .NET, MP installed just fine. Starting TVserver Configiration for the first time did not even trigger the MySQL configuration panel.. it just worked!

Been busy past weekend to reinstall plugins and updating Moving Picture database and such..

MP 1.2.3 Final, works just fine with Windows 8 Pro, watching Live TV has never been smoother! All plug ins seem to work just fine.

The only problem I have now is that clicking on a Live TV program, it does not allways immediately starts playing, sometimes an error that the channel cant be found, but when clicking a second time it starts playing, but takes a while (>10 seconds).. This prevents me from scheduling recordings, because these allways fail... BUT, this has been a problem since I went over to windows 7 and MP1.2.x.. So I do not think it is specific Windows 8 related. Not really a problem for me, because I do not record much anyways..

Lets hope it remains stable now

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom