[solved] "Connection to TV service lost" upon MePo start (1 Viewer)

Tmaniac

Portal Pro
May 20, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all,

i have a fresh MePo client installation (windows 8.1).

Everything works as it should but there is 1 glitch in the system.
When i start MePo i receive a connection lost error.

My TV server is running and available to my backup-client.
If i go into the "change.." dialog and confirm the TV Server name everything states it's ok and i can watch live tv.

BUT, if i restart or just close MePo and start it again, i receive the same error :(

Attached is my client error log-file.
hope you guys know what i have to tweak :)

Mind you: this is a client installation in a multi-seat environment, so no tv-service installed locally.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    [2014-07-17 22:39:05,137] [Error ] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - TVHome: Error occured in on loading : No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.10.50:31456, st at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)

By chance do you have a DHPC assigned IP address?
    A static is preferred

Also, a complete set of logs helps....

Tmaniac

Portal Pro
    May 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    [2014-07-17 22:39:05,137] [Error ] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - TVHome: Error occured in on loading : No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.10.50:31456, st at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)

By chance do you have a DHPC assigned IP address?
    A static is preferred

Also, a complete set of logs helps....

Yes, it is DHCP but it's been running with DHCP for over a year.

attached to the main post are all the logs;

i'll change ip to static to see if this changes anything (but i doubt it)

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If the static IP does not help then something on the server side is changing on your restarts
    [2014-07-17 22:25:40,321] [Log ] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - TvServer: Failed to execute remote TV server operation (CardByIndex)
    No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.10.50:31456

Tmaniac

Portal Pro
    May 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If the static IP does not help then something on the server side is changing on your restarts
    [2014-07-17 22:25:40,321] [Log ] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - TvServer: Failed to execute remote TV server operation (CardByIndex)
    No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.10.50:31456

that's what i think is weird.

my TV Server is 192.168.10.2
    my client is 192.168.10.50

my client is configured to use 192.168.10.2 as tv-server. (i double checked this in the xml file...)

Then why the hell is MePo looking at 192.169.10.50 for a tv-signal?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    that's what i think is weird.
    Then why the hell is MePo looking at 192.169.10.50 for a tv-signal?
    The client needs to connect to both the TV service - remoting and RTSP - and database. Each of these 3 connections are configured in different ways. You may have one or more of the connections configured and working fine, but all have to be configured correctly in order for everything to work correctly.

Please post full logs from the client using the watchdog:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

I'm asking you to do this because I'd like to look at the MediaPortal.xml and gentle.config files which haven't been included in what you've posted so far.

Tmaniac

Portal Pro
    May 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ok, now i have a real challange!

When i start MePo in debug mode...EVERYTHING works!
    When i start MePo in normal mode...connection lost and have to re-confirm my tv-server.

i don't get it!

attached are the debug logs; i did edit gentle.config since i'm using a central mysql server and i don't want to spill my password all over the place ;)

Attachments

• debug.PNG
      debug.PNG
      1.2 MB
    • normal.PNG
      normal.PNG
      1.3 MB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think the problem is that you're using a hostname instead of an IP address in all your configuration.
    If the hostname doesn't resolve correctly then you'll have exactly these sorts of problems.
    For me giant.vandenberge.nu resolves to some random 84.***.***.*** address.
    I suggest either:
    1. Use a static IP for your server... and update both the client and server gentle.confg, and the client MediaPortal.xml... OR
    2. Continue to use the hostname, but "hardcode" the corresponding IP address in your client's hosts file (c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) to avoid incorrect DNS results.

Tmaniac

Portal Pro
    May 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think the problem is that you're using a hostname instead of an IP address in all your configuration.
    If the hostname doesn't resolve correctly then you'll have exactly these sorts of problems.
    For me giant.vandenberge.nu resolves to some random 84.***.***.*** address.
    I suggest either:
    1. Use a static IP for your server... and update both the client and server gentle.confg, and the client MediaPortal.xml... OR
    2. Continue to use the hostname, but "hardcode" the corresponding IP address in your client's hosts file (c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) to avoid incorrect DNS results.

This is most definately not the problem;

Vandenberge.nu is my internal DNS zone; i have a windows DNS server that hosts this domain and points to my media-server (giant / 192.168.10.2)
    As a backup i have the name Giant and Giant.vandenberge.nu in the local hosts file on the client (for me that is standard procedure on my HTPC :p)

Also, if i change the hostname in the tv-server configuration to just the IP address of the tv-server i still recieve the same error.

And, this does not explain why media portal starts up fine in debug mode and has errors in normal mode...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Fair enough. :)

And, this does not explain why media portal starts up fine in debug mode and has errors in normal mode...
    True. The main difference in debug mode is that it disables all third party plugins (might give you some clues where this is going...) and uses the default skin.
    Please set the log verbosity to debug manually:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ion/00_Configuration/11_General#Log_verbosity

Then reproduce the problem not using debug mode and post the log files again.
    Goal is to get debug level logs without actually using debug mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom