lloydsmart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 10, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I see :D thanks. It's looking increasingly likely that this will be my
    way forward, as much as I hate to leave MediaPortal behind. It really is the best media app I've ever used or seen, but Linux is just too tempting. If only there was a version of mp for Linux..... Ah well.

Ps does anyone know if the happauge hvr-4000 works under Linux and mythtv? I know I should google but I'm just being lazy now ;)

lloydsmart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 10, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Wales Wales

ROFL!

Ok, point taken. Although in my defence i was on my iPhone when I wrote that so it's almost but not quite so simple.

peace_smiley_card-p1378864153311049.jpg

lloydsmart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 10, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Ok having done yet more research I'm now seriously considering XBMC. It seems to be much more feature-laden, and to be under much more active development, which I like. Also the app itself seems to be a lot more 'mediaportalish', especially when you look at the plugins and skins like mediastream. And on top of that it has a nice big forum community, just like mp, which makes it very appealing. Does anyone have any views on this? Are there any obvious pitfalls which I'm not seeing? Thanks.

gig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    if you dont need the TV feature then go with XBMC, otherwise you must at least use the MythTV backend since XBMC doesnt provide TV functionality by itself.

lloydsmart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 10, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Yes, I was thinking of using a myth backend with the xbmc frontend. For now, I don't have a dvb card, but it is something I'll be adding soon so I'm hoping to get xbmc up and running then add myth for tv later.

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I know this thread is old but looking at your options why is your baseline solution not MP running on XP? What am I missing?

I have read several threads recommending XBMC but thought if an ATSC TV tuner support was important that MP was the best option.

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Hi Lloydsmart - so, almost a year on, what was your decision in the end? I am very happy with MP, but I am also wondering about the leap into Linux based computing, only because I want to experiment with a system with multiple clients on it, and I don't want the expense of lots of XP or W7 licenses. I am also looking for the least resource-hungry clients I can lay my hands on.

If you get this - I'd be interested to know how you got on. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom