Contemplating switching from MCE2005 to Media Portal (1 Viewer)

denyart

October 26, 2005
IA
I have been paining with a MCE2005 box for several months now. It basically works, but I would like to try Media Portal to see if it can do more of what I want and less of what I don't. I want an interface that will start fullscreen at windows startup and allow my ATI Remote Wonder to control it. I want it to have pictures, videos, movies (i.e. divx, xvid, etc), and live&recorded TV (both analog NTSC and digital ATSC). MCE does this, but the whole DRM issue and constant little problems are making me look elswhere to see if it is greener on the other side. My main concern is getting live and recorded HDTV and regular analog tv to work better. I have an overclocked mobile athlon running on my Abit board (mobile=less heat) at 2.2GHz, so my processor should be adequate if the hardware acceleration of my nvidia 6600GT AGP video card and purevideo decoder can be used. Is there an answer in Media Portal, or does anyone know of any other software I could look into instead of MP or MCE? My hardware should be in my signature. Thanks

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I recommend that you give MediaPortal a try - the software is free, so the only "cost" to you will be your time. I understand that ATSC needs more development work, and I think that there are some US programmers doing that right now - so you may find that ATSC does not meet your needs - yet!

jahutch

Portal Member
    November 27, 2005
    I too have interest in this subject. I have been looking at building an HTPC (mostly from parts I currently have), and I like the MCE2005 interface/ease of use, but the cost is a turnoff. Also, its inability to use FFDShow is a problem for me as well (I'd at least like to try this out after hearing about how much it improves DVD - though I'm lost as to what settings to use!)

A few questions:

1) How difficult is it, in a normal situation, to set up? Ive heard of nightmares with things like MythTV.. so I'm hoping this isn't quite so difficult.

2) Is the Hauppauge PVR 150MCE a good choice for this software?

3) Can I use the Microsoft MCE Remote and IR Blaster (not needed currently, but will need later) with this software? I will be running it on XP Pro, SP 2.

4) How does the TV picture quality compare to MCE2005?

5) Any suggestions on FFDShow settings to use? This will be a nice standard def TV for now - later I will be using a Sony KDF-E42A10.

Thanks!

(and sorry to the OP, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.. =( )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom