Control a UK Sky box with Mediaportal and PVR 150 IR Blaster (1 Viewer)

MonkeyBoy

November 17, 2005

AndyQ

Portal Member
May 27, 2005
TYou can't control a sky box with the Hauppauge ir blaster - sucks but Hauppage claim that there will be a new version with all boxes release in a few weeks. Mind you, they told me that back in July!!

Anyway, if you want a nice reliable solution (MUCH better than using an IR blaster which I found incredibly unreliable (used the MCE blaster which worked fine but the sky box wouldn't pick up all the signals resulting in only about 1 in 6 channel changes actually working), then check out http://www.heenan.me.uk/control-sky-from-pc. I bought one of these a while back and it works flawlessly. Still needs a little work to run in Mediaportal but I've written a small C# app that changes the channels (I do play to add it as a plugin to MP but so far just not the time to do so - get so little computer time at the moment - sad).

Anyway, if anyone wants the app, let me know.

MonkeyBoy

November 17, 2005
AndyQ said:
TYou can't control a sky box with the Hauppauge ir blaster - sucks but Hauppage claim that there will be a new version with all boxes release in a few weeks. Mind you, they told me that back in July!!

Ah, that's what I feared - nice to have had it confirmed.

AndyQ said:
Anyway, if you want a nice reliable solution (MUCH better than using an IR blaster which I found incredibly unreliable (used the MCE blaster which worked fine but the sky box wouldn't pick up all the signals resulting in only about 1 in 6 channel changes actually working), then check out http://www.heenan.me.uk/control-sky-from-pc. I bought one of these a while back and it works flawlessly. Still needs a little work to run in Mediaportal but I've written a small C# app that changes the channels (I do play to add it as a plugin to MP but so far just not the time to do so - get so little computer time at the moment - sad).

Anyway, if anyone wants the app, let me know.

Many thanks for this, I'm going to order a couple shortly. If you can make the controlling app available it would be hugely apprecited!

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
The solution AndyQ has mentioned is by far the best option.

I've also used a little gadget that plugs directly into the rear of the Sky box and takes a signal directly from the MCE blaster - no IR buds involved - and it worked great but if I was having to find a solution to this problem again I'd be going the same route as AndyQ.

MP's USBUIRT support has been improved recently by SteveV so its probably more viable that it was a few months back.

arjay

Portal Pro
April 25, 2006
Coin, Spain
smirnuff

Are you still watching this topic? If so, can you tell us what the gadget is that you plug directly into the back of the sky stb?

Thnx

RJ

arjay

Portal Pro
April 25, 2006
Coin, Spain
Wow - swifty by name and swifty by nature :lol:

Thanks for replying - I'll look at the link in a minute - I need to know what sort of sky box it will fit and what port/connector on the stb. Presumably I'll find it at the link you sent me.

BTW - have you got a sky stb? If so I have never (trying for 10 days of 3 hours a day) got even a tv signal in MP - see other posts in support forum.

I have a pace digibox with bog-standard setup: scart/composites to pvr150mce card and svideo from card to standard tv. I have tried everything I can think of to get a tv signal but absolutely zilch. I have temporarily moved over to gbpvr because it has a sky plugin that automates the whole process. However, MP seems much the better product but it's no good to me without a picture :oops:

Have you got any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom