Control over thumbnails? (1 Viewer)

coopers

Portal Pro
November 8, 2005
Adelaide
Home Country
Hi Guys, some questions:

1. I use MP 1.16 to view videos by "share". Having some thumbnails of the videos in the shares would be nice. However, the default thumbnail generator seems to work poorly with a number of more modern video containers/codecs. Is there a "better" thumbnail generator? (or updated one, or plugin?) I can't see one.
  2. I saw mention of a feature where you can screenshot a playing video and that becomes the thumb. Can't see this documented or how to do this anywhere. Is that real?
  3. Seems to be very few skins that are updated to support 1.16 and 1.17. Why is this? I'd probably choose one that displayed the thumbnail well for when video folders are viewed by "share" but... very little choice.
Thanks!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    However, the default thumbnail generator seems to work poorly with a number of more modern video containers/codecs.
    That would be news to me.
    Some examples (full MediaInfo output) would be helpful.

Is there a "better" thumbnail generator? (or updated one, or plugin?) I can't see one.
    Not as far as I'm aware.
    Generally we improve the existing thumbnailer if/when people notify us about problems with it. So, if you have a problem with it, please tell us more so that it can be improved. ;)

I saw mention of a feature where you can screenshot a playing video and that becomes the thumb. Can't see this documented or how to do this anywhere. Is that real?
    You can make your own thumbnails if you want. Take a screenshot, then save it with the exact file name of the video within MP's thumbnail folder structure as appropriate (c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs).

Seems to be very few skins that are updated to support 1.16 and 1.17. Why is this?
    Off the top of my head, I don't recall any huge breaking changes in 1.16 or 1.17 that would cause skins that worked in 1.15 to stop working, so... :confused:
    If you'd like specific answers about why skin X has not been updated for version Y, check the associated forum section or thread and/or ask the associated developer(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom